attributes and wall tool

Hello. Is there a way to change the attribute on wall that I make with the wall tool? I seem to be able to change colors on the default unstyled walls when i'm in the 3D mode, but I can't figure out how to do this on walls I make myself.

Hopefully I dont need to make a different wall type for each different color wall.

Thank you,

Danielle

Hey Danielle.

Do you have renderworks? If so you can control the 3D textures in a few places.

The render tab of the object info palette is the first place to look.

You can control wall textures for each individual component of your wall styles or via the “by object” option you can control textures for each different side of your wall.

If you have multiple wall styles with components set up for different finishes then I would suggest using the “by component “ option and creating a class for each finish complete with its own texture and editing your wall style components to use these classes with textures set to “by class”.

If you don’t have renderworks then the 3D appearance will be determined by editing the solid fill of your wall style components.

18 hours ago, Boh said:

Hey Danielle.

Do you have renderworks? If so you can control the 3D textures in a few places.

The render tab of the object info palette is the first place to look.

You can control wall textures for each individual component of your wall styles or via the “by object” option you can control textures for each different side of your wall.

If you have multiple wall styles with components set up for different finishes then I would suggest using the “by component “ option and creating a class for each finish complete with its own texture and editing your wall style components to use these classes with textures set to “by class”.

If you don’t have renderworks then the 3D appearance will be determined by editing the solid fill of your wall style components.

Thank you Boh. I do have renderworks. Is there a way to use a benjamin moore color as a render texture? Sorry for these very rudimentary questions, I am new to 3D.

No worries. Yes you can create or edit a texture to use a colour. Easiest is to find a colour based texture that you like and simply edit the colour. 
Find a good colour texture that looks good on your walls then right click on the wall and select “find texture in the Resource Manager” . In the RM right click the texture and click edit. In the dialogue in the first drop down there is an option to select colour. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I also have a problem with walls. See screen shot where I have a first floor plan with brick/partial fill/block/pboard dry lining. The ground floor has the same but full fill insulation and it comes out black. I try to change it and the wall type on first floor isn't anywhere to be found. Yet it must be there cause I've used it!

1309394213_ScreenShot2020-04-20at18_29_22.thumb.png.cdad6cdf255f51e9ec69b989df22b1da.png

So I had a quick look at your file. There is a class called "A-Pr-25-57-06-56-M-MineralWoolSlabInsulation" that needs to be turned on in your viewport. When this class is not set to visible the black you see is from the class the wall is placed in called"A-EF-25-10-M-WallExternal" which has a black fill.

A suggestion going forward might be to have all your wall component classes grouped together with the class name prefix "Components-Walls-" so it's easy to check if all the wall component classes are set to visible (as they almost always should be). Similarly for roof and slab components.

Edited by Boh
  • Like 2