Restoring default Keyboard Shortcut

I am assuming that you used the Workspace Editor to make the changes in the first place. If you did not make other changes you want to keep, you can just revert back to the factory default workspace by deleting the workspace from your user folder or renaming it to something that does not match the name of any of the default workspaces and restart VW.

Edit the workspace. Click the Tools button/tab at the top of the Workspace Editor Window. One the Basic Palette and the View/Draw set. Select the Selection Tool.

Click in the box at the bottom of the window under the Shortcut for selected command. If you want to use modifier keys choose that in pull down. Type the key you want to assign to the command.

image.thumb.png.34582490f58ba2a657b9ab3de4c09e6a.png

• Like 1

@greenjeanne13 ,

You need to use the Workspace Editor to make the change back.

Select menu Tools > Workspaces > Edit Current Workspace...

Select the Tools tab.

Click on the triangle next to Basic so it is pointing down.

Click on the triangle next to View Draw so it is pointing down.

Select the fist item Selection so it is highlighted (this is the Selection Tool).

At the bottom of the dialog where it says "Shortcut for selected command",

The popup menu should say Key, type an "X" in the text field to the right.

You will get a message if that key is assigned to another tool (I'm guessing it is assigned to the X-Ray key.

Click YES.

Your Selection Tool hot key is repaired.

Now select the Keys tab.

The text field next to X-Ray is now blank.

Enter B to restore it to the original key, or pick another key, but pay attention to any dialog that pops up when you type a letter.

If you you don't mind losing a hotkey to a tool you don't typically use, Click Yes, otherwise choose another key.

Click OK when you are done.

HTH,

Raymond

Thank you both so much.  I was looking under the Keys tab and couldn't find the Selection shortcut.  I just switched everything back.  I hope you understand how in a momentary lapse of judgement I thought that X might be a better choice for X-ray.   Now that I know what to do, I may go back to my original plan and assign another key for selection.

You are very welcome. If you are working on your own (as we pretty much all are right now #Covid-19), then changing the shortcuts is not much of a problem. 

If you are working in an office with others, I would give it additional thought as often (especially here on the Forum) someone will say something like "Just hit the X key and then do blah". That is great is everyone is using the same workspace and not so good if everyone has changed all the keys around. It is even worse when someone tries to sit at your machine to do something and gets completely different than expected shortcuts.

Just working on my own and trying to master the 3D aspects of Garden Design.  I have 2018 Landmark with Renderworks but I can upgrade anytime so I'm not going to change too much as far as the shortcuts go.  Most likely I will go to 2019 next as I've heard they're were some rendering issues with 2020.  Your thoughts?

2020 is up to SP3. As far as I know there are no widespread issues. There will always be a few select people who have hardware or software conflicts that cause problems. A large number of them seem to find the Forum and post here (which they should), but it makes it seem as if there are more problems than there actually are. Considering that there are almost 30,000 people registered on the forum with about 200 online at any given time. I would expect a serious problem that was widespread would gain at least 5 to 10 like and me too posts. I have only seen a couple of those types of things in the entire 2020 rollout.

I think you are probably better off going to 2020 if your hardware and OS supports it.