title blocks in 2020

rexwexford

Question

Hi all, 

I am encountering an issue with title blocks. 

I am finding in some files that when i re-paste (in place) a title block onto a sheet, my title block seems to split into two locations and it loses all information. (see attached shot) has anyone encountered this? it is quite problematic when you want to edit a suite of drawings in one go 

In the past, when I have a series of drawings all at rev a, and I want to change them all to rev b or change the product info or whatever, I have been able to edit the title page on the first sheet, and then paste in place on the other sheets. It would automatically update the revision and project information with the correct sheet title etc . This was very useful. Now it appears i have to start all my title blocks from scratch and reimport the titleblock, which takes a lot of time. 

any thoughts? 

thanks 

2112132624_Screenshot2020-04-06at12_58_36.thumb.png.e9520ce5ce54510372c8af8067a101ed.png

• Like 1

16 answers to this question

We occasionally run into the same issue (splitting and losing information).

If I remember correctly title blocks data become invisible while still accessible in the database (editing title block). Trying to fix it editing title block layout was no success. Ended up erasing all title blocks in the file, purging the file and inserting title blocks again (with some frustration).

Edited by str
  • Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@rexwexford - I have checked the file you sent me. It seems like the styles you have are having this issue. I tried making the TBB on the layer unstyled and then created a new style from it and then the graphics did not shift. Do you remember any steps that might have affected the styles you have created?

7 hours ago, str said:

We occasionally run into the same issue (splitting and losing information).

If I remember correctly title blocks data become invisible while still accessible in the database (editing title block). Trying to fix it editing title block layout was no success. Ended up erasing all title blocks in the file, purging the file and inserting title blocks again (with some frustration).

- If I understand correctly some of your Project/Sheet Data fields disappear from the Settings/Manager dialogs? If so, you can check the field visibility in the Manage Project/Sheet Data dialogs. If this is not the problem, could you send me a test file or make a screen recording showing the issue?

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov thanks for your reply. Project/Data fields are visibile in the Setting/Manager (i am aware of field visibility) dialog but not in the “splitted” Title Block graphics: we had the exact situation of @rexwexford. It also happened to us with a customized title block, re-inserting title blocks (and their style), after erasing and purging solved the issue for us. I had the feeling it could be related to file/style conversion between different VW versions, but I can’t confirm. I’ll send it to you if it happens to us again. Btw I find Title block a powerful and well design tool, very useful for controlling project info.

Edited by str
3 hours ago, str said:

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov thanks for your reply. Project/Data fields are visibile in the Setting/Manager (i am aware of field visibility) dialog but not in the “splitted” Title Block graphics: we had the exact situation of @rexwexford. It also happened to us with a customized title block, re-inserting title blocks (and their style), after erasing and purging solved the issue for us. I had the feeling it could be related to file/style conversion between different VW versions, but I can’t confirm. I’ll send it to you if it happens to us again. Btw I find Title block a powerful and well design tool, very useful for controlling project info.

yes, i cant say for certain but i think it only started happening to me since the update to 2020

3 hours ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

@rexwexford - I have checked the file you sent me. It seems like the styles you have are having this issue. I tried making the TBB on the layer unstyled and then created a new style from it and then the graphics did not shift. Do you remember any steps that might have affected the styles you have created?

- If I understand correctly some of your Project/Sheet Data fields disappear from the Settings/Manager dialogs? If so, you can check the field visibility in the Manage Project/Sheet Data dialogs. If this is not the problem, could you send me a test file or make a screen recording showing the issue?

thanks for promptly looking at it. When you say "any steps that may have affected them" do you mean steps in that particular file, or steps when creating the title block? 

I dont think it could be anything unusual steps taken in that particular file, because its happens across multiple files that I have returned to and want to update 

unfortunately I personally did not make the title block someone in my company did. I am trying to understand out more about them, and how they perhaps could be working a bit better. I dont think they have been made as well as they could have been 

cheers

20 minutes ago, rexwexford said:

thanks for promptly looking at it. When you say "any steps that may have affected them" do you mean steps in that particular file, or steps when creating the title block? 

I dont think it could be anything unusual steps taken in that particular file, because its happens across multiple files that I have returned to and want to update 

unfortunately I personally did not make the title block someone in my company did. I am trying to understand out more about them, and how they perhaps could be working a bit better. I dont think they have been made as well as they could have been 

cheers

- The issue is that the style itself is with shifted graphics. So, in order to fix it, we need to know how did the style end up in this state. Is it possible to reproduce this from a blank document?

On 4/9/2020 at 11:08 AM, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

- The issue is that the style itself is with shifted graphics. So, in order to fix it, we need to know how did the style end up in this state. Is it possible to reproduce this from a blank document?

appologies for the radio silent on my part. i tried to understand more about title blocks, and then realised i didnt know enough. However, I still dont quite understand your question...

Do you mean reproduce the title block file? or create a blank document and insert the title block into it? 

thans

14 hours ago, rexwexford said:

Do you mean reproduce the title block file? or create a blank document and insert the title block into it? 

Reproduce the issue starting from a blank file. Meaning, create a blank file, create new TBB(without using the corrupted style from your file) and try to get the same issue while remembering the steps to do so.

1 hour ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Reproduce the issue starting from a blank file. Meaning, create a blank file, create new TBB(without using the corrupted style from your file) and try to get the same issue while remembering the steps to do so.

ah ok, no the issue wont happen when starting new files, it is only when replacing the title block in drawings we have been updating over the course of a project - the difficulty with this is the corruption could have happened at any point in a timeline of a year or two 

7 minutes ago, rexwexford said:

ah ok, no the issue wont happen when starting new files, it is only when replacing the title block in drawings we have been updating over the course of a project - the difficulty with this is the corruption could have happened at any point in a timeline of a year or two 

- Okay, then I suggest you use the fix I have suggested above and recreate the style by making one of the TBBs using the style unstyled and then creating a new style from it.