Modelling and building a venue in VW20

Hi all,

Hope everyone is healthy and staying safe!

I have a little question, which I'm posting here rather than in one of the specific topic areas as I work in the Ents industry but I think this may be more of an architectural question.

So I'm recreating a venue which has a load of Arched tunnels in it. I've used the floorplan as a guide and built the base structure using extrusions, as the main walls are pretty darn thick. I've then used various subtracting solid extrusion techniques to create the arched roofs through the building. I'm reasonably pleased with myself, not exactly the best at modelling etc so was feeling pretty chuffed until I got to the internal walls.

I was going to use the wall tool to make my life easier but for some reason I can't get my head around the stories and layers function (despite the fact I sat in on the excellent architecture webinar last week). So now I can't get a wall to be anything really. Even unstyled. But I also don't think that this will help in what I'm about to query.

So I started to build all the internal walls as extrusions and punching out door holes using the subtract solids tool, all fine, but what I really want is for the internal walls to follow the curve of the arched roof, so when I turn this class off it still looks curvy. Is there an easier way of doing this other than making another extrusion to subtract from the walls? And also, is there a way of selecting all the walls to remain and just subtract the curved extrusion from all of them at once?

I have a funny feeling I'm doing this in a long winded fashion. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

The file is attached in case anyone wants to have a look.

Thanks in advance!

Jazz

Arches v3.vwx

Hi Kevin,

I have the ceiling and floor in different classes, but not design layers. Will try that.

My trouble seems to be that the walls are bounded. I can't seem to stop this happening. It's very annoying as I've never had this trouble before. I can't find the right setting to turn this off..

Fit walls to objects sounds good to me!

Will have another play.

Thanks,

Jazz

oh! yes!!!!!

Thank you! Thank goodness for that. Yay to not being bounded anymore!

Yeah, there are a lot of solid subtractions in there. It was a way of getting all the recesses and strange room shapes to follow the curves. I'm fairly basic on my extruding methods. Going to take advantage of the VW University being open at the moment.

So the 'ceiling' is the top of the arch that has been created from the solid subtraction.

I've tried converting that to a NURBS surface and using the fit to layer, but it doesn't seem to want to follow the curve?

I get a feeling I'm being a moron.