Reverse Sides

David Poiron

Question

It would be nice if the reverse sides button on walls respected the wall core so that the core stayed in position but the outer components moved with respect to the core. Right now the whole wall reverses, but that means in many cases you have to reposition the wall so that the core gets moved back to its original position.

• Like 2

9 answers to this question

22 minutes ago, Cadplan Architecture said:

I'm using walls today and Reverse Sides flips all the components and keeps the inner and out faces of the wall in position, e.g. it flips around the centre line of the wall. Is this what you mean?

No, I think what @David Poiron means is that it flips around whichever of your components is the "core". In the example of a cavity wall, it's less clear what the 'core' is, but let's say it's the inner leaf, as that tends to be the loadbearing one. So when the wall was flipped, the inner leaf would stay in exactly the same place but the cavity, insulation and outer leaf would move to the other side of it.

It's hard to think of a use case that would arise using cavity walls - more likely with wall buildups where you have a structural component that is centred on foundations and then internal and external finishes are attached to it on each side.

What I would find useful, and is similar in concept, is to be able to "replace" a wall style simply by specifiying that the core component stays in the same place. This would be useful when you are simply changing a wall buildup to one with a different kind of cladding, which might have a different build-up thickness. Walls are generally set out on the basis of the structural component, so once the design is progressed to a certain stage, in making alterations you'd generally want that structural element to stay in the same place. For example, if you change an internal stud wall from one layer of plasterboard each side to two layers each side, you don't generally want to shift the wall to the side by 12.5mm, you want to keep the studwork in the same place and increase the wall thickness slightly.

@line-weight these are my thoughts exactly. many of our interior walls have different buildups and that buildup often has to change through the design or construction processes. Sometimes you have to simply reverse the sides to place the buildup on the other side of the wall but then currently have to move the wall itself to keep the structure in the same location.

1 hour ago, David Poiron said:

@line-weight these are my thoughts exactly. many of our interior walls have different buildups and that buildup often has to change through the design or construction processes. Sometimes you have to simply reverse the sides to place the buildup on the other side of the wall but then currently have to move the wall itself to keep the structure in the same location.

Are we talking UK type construction?