3d render

Susanne

Question

Hi there

Im trying to render a wall in 3d using an image, i have imported it as an image to the resource browser plus I have imported it as a texture in resource browser but it comes inas a tiny element, so i need to zoom in 100's of times so i can see it... it comes as a blur of green until i am zoomed in. Any ideas on how I can ,make this the size and ratio to the image?

13 answers to this question

Hi Susanne, welcome to the forum

The size of texture is controlled via the Size field in the bottom left of Texture Edit dialogue box.

You will not have control of the placement however, so you may need to create a separate object almost on the wall eg 3d Polygon and apply your texture to that.

If the wall was an extrude you could apply a Decal which you could also position & rotate at will

If your using a 3d Polygon just apply the texture to that.

In Vectorworks a Decal texture is a texture that's applied on top of another, much as a poster on a wall.

The object needs to have an applied texture first (eg concrete)

It can be resized, rotated and moved at will.

In the Render Tab of the OIP you will see a button Add Decal which you can press to create a Decal texture.

Use the Attribute Mapping tool (Shift A) to control this using the various modes in the top left of the screen.

Note: Decal textures will only be visible when rendered with Renderworks, not Open GL.

Hi that's really helpful, yes i have rendered it, not open gl, will see if the decal can work, though even those seem to come up in a weird ratio... will see how i go , really sppreciate your help, sorry I may be back to annoy you again.

Have a great weekend, assuming you are in lockdown too. stay well. 🙂

its pretty weird here as all restaurants are closed and stores. yes on line is available, but its tricky when you realise there is something you need or want to get a birthday present..... but hopefully if we all stay in we can avoid contaminating each other an the virus will dissipate... until there is vaccine or ... well or whatever, its a strange feeling, the lack of global travel and the pressure that our economies are under, I feel for small businesses, plus a huge project of mine has been out on hold until we don't know when, I hope on the other side we will find new joy in small pleasures, like liberty. We can pretty much go where we want though there is little to be getting to.... out walking running cycling, but it would probably not be a good idea to drive 50 miles ... Im in Surrey, very few cases, we are pretty protected here. 

I may have more questions... Sorry!

Enjoy your weekend, weather good?

its cheering up here, so looks like barbecue weather on Sunday.

Whoop

• Like 1

Sorry.....Bob, I have another VW question, I have a floor in this room, where I applied the wall finish (successfully, thanks to you!) however I have made the floor approx 200mm depth, but instead of the finish going onto the floor its going onto the side, do you know how I can change this, I have tried the attribute mapping. i can't seem to change the direction to lie on the floor, any tips?

Best

S

Hi Susanne,

Yes, thanks. The texture is mapped to the side of the extrude rather than the top.

With the extrude selected invoke the Attribute Mapping tool.

You will see a little child's hand pointing to a plane

Click on the plane of your object that you want the texture to map to - (the top)

An alternative is to select the extrude and in the OIP>Render Tab set the Map Type to Auto-Align Plane

Edited by bcd