Polygon (shapefile) record data to IFC property

Dear VW users,

I have a georeferenced shapefile imported which contains a lot of 2D polygons with a record and a couple of fields filled with data.

I want to extrude the shapes into 3D and classify them in IFC, but the data is lost in the process, I was only able to "save" the record format into the IFC pset.  ( I can add the record format in the IFC property list, but only the format not the data... Of course i can copypaste them one by one, but i have a couple thousand items to copypaste.)

Does anyone had the same issue before? Do you guys have a solution for my problem or a python script that i can use? /The only purpose to this is to export data with IFC export which was in the shapefile./

My workflow is the following:

1. Importing shapefile with polygons with data attached to them
  2. Extruding the 2d polygons
  3. Attach IFC to them
  4. Add custom pSet to IFC (the same as imported with the 2d polys)
  5. Copy-paste record data from 2D to custom pSet into IFC «- this is what i can't do automatically only manually

Thanks for the help!

Thanks, but there is no connection between the record and the height. The records show different data than height, so i simply use the Extrude command and attach IFC to them.

Edit: I need to attach IFC to the extrudes anyway and i have to add the record there as custom pSet so the IFC export contains my data. (IFC export doesn't export simple records only IFC pSets...)

Edited by Kazemester
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Kazemester I'm trying to understand how are you extruding the 2D Polygons? If you are using the Model > Extrude command it will essentially create a new Extrude object. If you edit the Extrude you will see the 2D Polygon with the Record still attached to it, that's the reason that the Extrude does not inherit the Record Format.
If you follow what Tamsin has suggested, and use Modify by Record command, the Record format will be preserved and it will be attached to the Extrude object. I suggest creating a dummy field in the Record Format which you would populate by the extrusion height and use that field for Modify by Record.

• Like 1

Next step would be to use the Data Manager to map the data from the Record Format to Ifc psets - the key here would be to have all of these Extrudes on the same class. Then you can use the Class-based objects in the left pane of the Data Manager - add the class that the Extrudes are on, then in the middle pane add the Ifc Data Set you wish. Final step is to define Data Mapping for the Data Fields in the Ifc Data Set and link those with Simple Formula using Initial Field value as Record Format and then select the field you want to map to.

I hope this makes sense, but let me know if it works or not and I can try to explain better if needed.

Good luck!

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Luka Stefanovic said:

Final step is to define Data Mapping for the Data Fields in the Ifc Data Set and link those with Simple Formula using Initial Field value as Record Format and then select the field you want to map to.

The data mapping is a big help, but still...if i do this way there are still no values added to the fields in IFC pSet other than the deafult values from the record format. I want to add the values from the 2D shape's individual record values to the IFC custom pSet values. As i have 1011 extrudes (1011 2D polys with 3X1011 values) i want to have a custom pSet with the same record in the IFC with those. (1st image with 0,0,0 is the 3D objects IFC custom pSet, the 2nd image is what is should be.)      

Screenshot 2020-04-03 at 19.41.08.png

Screenshot 2020-04-03 at 19.42.25.png

Edited by Kazemester
mistype
On 4/7/2020 at 4:53 PM, Luka Stefanovic said:

When you map the data from a Record Format to a custom Ifc pSet, you should be seeing actual values from the individual object, not the defaults from the Record Format

When i add the record format to the custom Ifc pSet and leave it as it is than the values are blank. When i do the "Define mapping" /simple formula - Recorf format value / it just adds the deafult values from the record format. So it doesn't work either way...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2020 at 10:38 AM, Luka Stefanovic said:

@Kazemester I've just tested the workflow as I described above and it works for me... Can you send me the file with 2D polygons that have Record Formats attached to them? 

Can you please share a quick video of that please? My file is full of government info what i can not share unfortunately. 😞

• 2 weeks later...

@Kazemester Hard to say what's going wrong without seeing the files. One thing that comes to mind is that mapping in Data Manager is for Class based objects, so when you create Extrudes using Modify by Record they will be created on active Class. If that is not the same as the Class you mapped data to, it won't work. If it still doesn't come through, try mapping in the Data Manager after you've extruded the Polygons making sure the objects are on correct classes, perhaps that will do the trick.

Let me know if you manage to do it.

Good luck!

• Like 1
On 5/18/2020 at 6:36 PM, Luka Stefanovic said:

@Kazemester Hard to say what's going wrong without seeing the files. One thing that comes to mind is that mapping in Data Manager is for Class based objects, so when you create Extrudes using Modify by Record they will be created on active Class. If that is not the same as the Class you mapped data to, it won't work. If it still doesn't come through, try mapping in the Data Manager after you've extruded the Polygons making sure the objects are on correct classes, perhaps that will do the trick.

Let me know if you manage to do it.

Good luck!

Thanks @Luka Stefanovic! The class messed it up after the extrude! Now it works as it should! Thank you again!