Alan Duncan

Guest Wes Gardner

@aduncan2, for lines, use the Connect/Combine tool - see attached video...

Use the First mode of the tool.

Select the objects to be extended

Select the tool

select the objects to be extended again (they should glow red)

then draw the "rubber band line" over to where you want them to extend to...

OR you could use a brick hatch

OR (if you build a model) you can use a surface hatch that's associated with a texture

When you import the dwg, you often need to adjust the units in the settings.  It helps if you know (or can guess) the units of the file you are importing.  In the US, civil engineering drawings usually set the drawing units to feet.  Perhaps your file is set in meters.  

Edited by cberg

I agree with @cberg you are probably better off reimporting using the correct units, but you can also use the Scale Object command from the Modify menu in the Scale by Distance mode. Click the dimension button next to the current distance and measure something in the drawing that you know the size of. Then type the desired size into the New Distance box. Make sure the Scale Text and Entire Drawing buttons are selected. (Don't do this is there are already items in your drawing that are the correct size. Just one more reason it is never a good idea to import into a file with data in it.)

image.thumb.png.6c4da1beb7331e79d8ec174e39e842e2.png

4 hours ago, aduncan2 said:

Thanks. Next problem is I have imported an Autocad drawing and the scale is wrong. A garage measures 5mm x 6mm which should be 5000mm x 6000mm so obviously has to multiply by 1000. How do I do that?

This is normal - it often imports at the wrong scale or using the wrong units. I would never rescale things by 1000. Instead:

VW will ask on file import what you think the units are - you can run with the suggested unites proposed by VW or indicate them manually.

Either way you should always import into a blank file and immediately check that the import is scaled correctly. If not I recommend closing the file and starting over,

new file, new import, new scale check.

Running the import a few times until it's correct in this manner will save you a world of hassle.

If you need to bring this dwg into an existing drawing you can then import the layer or create a DLVP to reference it in.

552347567_ChooseUnitsofimporteddwg.thumb.JPG.9b14b458677fde12d09a295903c44294.JPG