Ash

Problem with Orientation of North Arrow in a Viewport

See attached two files created in VW Designer 2020 SP3.1

In my document "Problem 1.vwx" -  When I try to rotate the North Arrow in a Viewport, it refuses to listen and points back to vertical position (North). Changing angle in OIP flips back to 0.

It works fine on Design Layer and on Sheet Layer. This happens only for Annotation in Viewport on a Sheet Layer.

I suspected that the Georeferencing is a problem. Tried to Reset it, uncheck it - doesn't solve the problem.

I started another a new blank document "No Problem Yet.vwx" - everything works fine. However, as soon as I opened the Document Preferences > Georeferncing > OK is activated,

the problem with North Arrow in a Sheet Layer Viewport starts again.

My real project document can not be recreated from the scratch, it has a month of my work.

Is there a way to reset Georeferencing to get back control of the North Arrow in a Viewport?

Problem 1.vwx No Problem Yet.vwx

@Ash, you can cheat by Ungrouping the object but I'm not sure that's the answer you're looking for, unless you just want a quick fix and then of course, that works..

OR you can adjust the Angle to True North and then turn the North point

Wes

Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 3.02.47 PM.png

Thank you, Wes.

The quick fix is not what I want.

I really need to know how to revert Georeferencing in all my future documents but 

also be sure that all other tools work as before (like North Arrow orientation)

I found this too.  The solution was to delete the North Point in annotation viewport and use the North Point from the Title Block Manager - puts it on the sheet space, but it is not affected by the geo-referencing.

I cannot understand why anyone would geo-reference a north symbol and lock it out so that you couldn't change it. All surveys are carried out to grid north etc. for setting out. Also for planning and building warrant submissions, you have to show North as North.

Posted (edited)

Same issue - unable to rotate north arrow in viewport annotation.

Changed True North in geolocation (File - doc settings) as recommended by @Wes Gardner, then did the extra step (almost missed!) to manually try and change rotation again in OIP and it did the trick. Thanks

🙂

Edited by NickyC
typo

2 minutes ago, NickyC said:

Same issue - unable to rotate north arrow in viewport annotation.

Changed True North in geolocation (File - doc settings) as recommended by @Wes Gardner, then did the extra step (almost missed!) to manually try and change rotation again in OIP and it did the trick. Thanks

🙂

P.s. I had to go through all my sheets and do the manual second step in annotation edit to correct all the north arrows.

SAME PROBLEM WITH ONE FILE. YOU ALL'S ANSWER MAKES NO SENCE.  I OPENED OLDER FILES TO SEE IF I HAD THE PROBLEM THERE AS WELL AS, STARTED A NEW FILE FROM MY TEMPLETS  THAT I USED FOR THIS FILE, AND IN THE VIEWPORT ANNOTATIONS, I CAN ROTATE THE NORTH TO ANY ANGLE AS ALWAYS.  THE SETTINGS IN GEOLOCATION VIA FILE - DOCUMENT SETTINGS HAVE NOT CHANGE, AND ARE IDENTICAL IN ALL 3 FILES.  THERE HAS TO BE A SETTING SOMEPLACE THAT IS CAUSING THIS TO HAPPEN.

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IN THE FILE WITH THE PROBLEM, IS THAT I CREATED A BRAND NEW TILE PAGE. YET IN ALL THOSE SETTINGS, THERE IS NOTHING THERE THAT MAKE THIS ALWAYS POINTING TO THE TOP OF THE PAGE OR STRAIGHT UP, AS A CHOICE TO TURN ON OR OFF.   COME ON VW WHAT IS THE ANSWER?

Just to add to the experiment.  Not only is the new title block viewport annotations effected by the non rotatable North arrow, all old title blocks within this corrupted file are effected.

The experiment goes on.  I then opened my template file and created a new Sheet layer, then while both files where open, I copied and pasted the new tile block from the infected file, to the new sheet layer in my template file. North rotates without an issue. So it is not the new title block.  If there is not an on /off for this problem in some setting, I am going to have to go layer by layer and cut and paste everything from the corrupted file to the clean file.  yuk!!!!!

@Kevin C, the north arrow does not always have to be facing up. It is acceptable to rotate the drawing in construction drawings - as long as the north arrow is pointing in the direction of north for the drawing presented, of course.

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, yasin2ray said:

the north arrow does not always have to be facing up. It is acceptable to rotate the drawing in construction drawings - as long as the north arrow is pointing in the direction of north for the drawing presented, of course.

This is the whole crux of the problem.  Yes, the best practice is that the drawing (especially when it is a site drawing) should be orientated North, with the arrow.  The problem is that the North point is Vectorworks doesn't point North when the drawing is facing North - it is off and you cannot change it.

There is a bug. My thinking is that some bright spark has decided that we should be orientating to 'True North' or 'Magnetic North' where in fact we orientate to 'Grid North' - something that every country has their own grid north for and it will vary slightly depending which country you live in, but North in drawings is relative to a defined set of coordinates and it always has been.

I have the same issue. I've tried locating a North Arrow in the sheet layer or inside the viewport as annotation. None of them work. The arrow is stuck pointing up. 

Even if I select that the arrow uses the Heliodon it stills points up and not to the true north in the file. 

@Carlos Sainz - Yes!

I've been in contact with tech support about this and I think they now understand. I hope this can be fixed soon. For now, I know that I rotated my georeferenced north "design space" 90 degrees to the right, so I placed north arrows on the sheets and rotated those 90 degrees to the right.

It got me through.