"Tool" preferences HotKey

Question

Wen using certain tools, there is an option to open a preferences window. Its a pencil and wrench in the top left center of the tool bar under the layer selection drop down. 

How can I create a hotkey button for this dialog box? It may need to be script that's linked to a hotkey. I would like to hit a key combo and open this preferences dialog box for any tool that uses it. I am linking my hotkeys to a Streamdeck and would like to map the keystroke to one of the keys, so the key combination itself can be as complicated as need to not step on any other key stroke combinations. I have no scripting experience for Vector either so this may become an adventure quickly. 

Any ideas on how to get this accomplished? 

5 answers to this question

There is no way of assigning a hot key to the preferences/settings button that I know of.

The best way to access this dialog box is when activating a tool. Double-click the tool button in the palette. This will open the settings box for the tool which you can fill-in with as much as you like. When you close the dialog, you just carry on using the tool....

3 minutes ago, markdd said:

There is no way of assigning a hot key to the preferences/settings button that I know of.

The best way to access this dialog box is when activating a tool. Double-click the tool button in the palette. This will open the settings box for the tool which you can fill-in with as much as you like. When you close the dialog, you just carry on using the tool....

Right, but the time it takes to do that is increasing my drawing times by quite a bit. Having a button to open the dialog box would save me, at this point, hours. Surely there is a script or something that I could run that would make the box open. 

Edited by I_Think_I_Know_But I _Dont

To expand on markdd's comment, the controls in the Mode bar are hard mapped based on the group they are in to the U,I,O,P,[ keys. Each group is defined by a thin grey vertical bar between the groups.

If there are multiple items in a group, the key for that group rotates between them. If there is a single item the key either toggles the setting of the item or in the case of the tool preferences opens the dialog box.

Since the Tool Preferences are different for every tool, I do not know of any scriptable way to simulate clicking the Tool Preferences button or to force the Tool Preference dialog open. 😞

• Like 1