Dark Mode

McRey

Question

I really love Vectorworks and my boss is paying so much for the program. But could you please PLEASE release a dark mode option for Mac and Windows User?

It's so unhuman to work with the white and bright Vectorworks. My eyes are burning 🙄

THX

• Like 1

21 answers to this question

Bump to request Dark Mode implementation for Windows users...pretty please?

A lot of the v2020/2021 icons have poor readability in light mode & I'd like to at least give them a chance in dark mode. (This is one of the contributing factors to why our engineering office is still primarily deploying v2018.)

• Like 3
On 9/24/2020 at 10:42 AM, Bret said:

Bump to request Dark Mode implementation for Windows users...pretty please?

A lot of the v2020/2021 icons have poor readability in light mode & I'd like to at least give them a chance in dark mode. (This is one of the contributing factors to why our engineering office is still primarily deploying v2018.)

Still no dark mode for Windows in VW2022? 😞

Looks like some of my other previous Windows bug reports which have kept us from upgrading have gone unaddressed as well...

1122469348_2021_09-15VW2022BrokenTextRendering.png.585ab4414e2dbaae102e9924d5e4fdd4.png

Disappointing.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 9/15/2021 at 1:04 PM, Bret said:

Looks like some of my other previous Windows bug reports which have kept us from upgrading have gone unaddressed as well...

@Bret can you send me a file to work with? I'm not seeing the same thing and I'd like to figure out what's going on for you.

Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 5.47.52 PM.png

4 minutes ago, Rick Berge said:

@Bret can you send me a file to work with? I'm not seeing the same thing and I'd like to figure out what's going on for you.

Hi Rick,

Thanks for checking in - I appreciate it.

This happens in every file if GDI+ Imaging is turned off, and we generally leave it turned off because it creates text rendering problems with our key .pdf print driver. (We're a structural engineering firm that primarily uses 2d tools and doesn't rely on transparency, gradients, renderings, etc. in our plans.)

The file I took that screenshot from was a new one that had nothing else in it but that text block. I noticed this error and emailed a bug report last year (followed up with another one earlier today), but it seems that it's been this way since at least VW2020. VW2018 does not have this issue.

I'm happy to go through this more with you and would love to see this fixed, although it would be best to shift to email or create another thread so as to not hijack this one further.

On 9/16/2021 at 3:09 PM, Bret said:
On 9/16/2021 at 2:49 PM, Rick Berge said:

Expand  

Hi Rick,

Thanks for checking in - I appreciate it.

This happens in every file if GDI+ Imaging is turned off, and we generally leave it turned off because it creates text rendering problems with our key .pdf print driver. (We're a structural engineering firm that primarily uses 2d tools and doesn't rely on transparency, gradients, renderings, etc. in our plans.)

The file I took that screenshot from was a new one that had nothing else in it but that text block. I noticed this error and emailed a bug report last year (followed up with another one earlier today), but it seems that it's been this way since at least VW2020. VW2018 does not have this issue.

I'm happy to go through this more with you and would love to see this fixed, although it would be best to shift to email or create another thread so as to not hijack this one further.

@Rick Berge Seems like this hasn't been remedied in v2023 & I haven't heard anything since this forum exchange a year ago. No Windows dark mode either. Is there any update on either of these items?

• Like 1

Hi everyone, thanks for your input and your continued support of Vectorworks.  I agree that dark mode would be a great enhancement to Vectorworks on Windows.  And while this is not included in the latest 2023 release, the feature is in development.  Please refer to the "In Development" tab on the Public Roadmap.  If you haven't seen this already please check it out!

https://www.vectorworks.net/en-US/public-roadmap

Thanks again and take care,

Ian

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Ian Lane said:

Mac UI was re-written with new Apple systems, which was a multi year project, but it allowed for us to use dark mode more or less out of the box when Apple added the feature.

Is there meanwhile finally something similar available for Windows 10/12.

I always thought there were, when I look at all the smaller free Apps in

Microsoft's App Store, which look more unified and better than we were

used to pre Windows 10 times.

Is there now something UI Kit available on Windows, also suitable for larger

more complex Apps and future proof ?

52 minutes ago, zoomer said:

Is there meanwhile finally something similar available for Windows 10/12.

I always thought there were, when I look at all the smaller free Apps in

Microsoft's App Store, which look more unified and better than we were

used to pre Windows 10 times.

Is there now something UI Kit available on Windows, also suitable for larger

more complex Apps and future proof ?

Yes there are many different languages and libraries that now provide this type of UI on Windows.  Many of the MS apps (Word, Excel, Visual Studio, etc) are now built using a library that sits on top of MFC and provides adaptive colors and extended functionality (animation, etc).  That is what we are using with Vectorworks as we update systems.  Since MS owns and supports these libraries, they are continuously updated and should future proof our UI.

Once the work is done to support theme switching it will allow us to support any theme that we want in the future (light/dark, green, blue, etc).  

Hopefully that answers your question.  

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Ian Lane said:

Hopefully that answers your question.  

It does .....

and it nice to hear that there is some hope for Windows App's GUIs.

It may be valid that larger CAD, 3D or special Apps develop their own GUI.

But for most casual Apps I think it is no good idea that all start from scratch

again each time.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Iwona said:

I have a feeling this will happen with the View Bar redesign that is scheduled for 2024.🧚‍♂️

View bar redesign?

great to hear resources are being deployed for such mission critical work like icon redesigns which then necessitate  redesign for dark mode, which then…

And the color picker redesign of 2023, such a great redirection of resources.

Meanwhile, site modeling, irrigation, and various architectural tools remain broken.  At least the tools will look pretty I suppose.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Dislike 1