Ignore Spotlight Lighting Devices for Ambient lighting

Tom van Rijsewijk

Question

When adding lighting devices in a plot. Vectorworks assumes you want to be using these devices for ambient lighting.

It would be great to have a tick box in the "Set Lighting Options" window to disable this.

I find myself very often in a situation where I would (in Open GL) need to see the physical presence of the devices but need my lighting settings to default.

Bringing up the ambient lighting does not always work here since you're views get over exposured very easily here.

Especially when publishing Open GL rendered viewports.

1 answer to this question

Yes, the problem is that when any Light object is inserted into your document (including the one embedded within a Spotlight Lighting Device), this causes the "Default Light" to turn off / disappear. There have posts on this forum requesting control over this for years, yet nothing has been done about it. It's particularly problematic with Lighting Devices since there's a Light embedded in every single one that you don't have much control over.

For now, try adding in a Directional Light to use as work light. Of course, this remedy is plagued by the fact that OpenGL can only display 8 light sources at once, and there's no control over which 8... So no perfect solution unfortunately.

If control isn't given in another way, at the very least Spotlight Lighting Devices should be programmed such that the embedded Light objects are universally placed on a class that can be made Visible or Invisible, while retaining the rest of the Lighting Device geometry. That would you could turn off that class and get back the Default Light.

Edited by Andy Broomell
  • Like 1