Help: Deathly Slow

Eric Chase

Question

Hi, VWX is running incredibly slow on my mac. Unacceptably slow. I'm hoping there's something I'm either doing wrong, or a symbol or file that is corrupt perhaps....

Attached is a video of the 2 minutes it took me to move and resize the crop on a sheet layer. Also attached are video files showing how slow it is moving a chair in a group, and changing the class type inside a door symbol.

This problem is not unique to this file. It happens on all of them. It's killing me.

Here's a link to the file from the video:

https://ldj.box.com/s/2ltd3yb8qt76tfyxx8eoj9nw0uggro8z

Macbook Pro-2018

2.9 GHX Intel Core i9

Radeo Pro 560X 4 GB

INtel UHD Graphics 630 1536 mb

I've encountered multiple professionals in the entertainment industry who have found issues with vectorworks struggling to use multi-core systems on macs....that the program throttles the speed because it can only work on 1 core and drags the system down. I'm hoping that's not the case here, and that there is something that I'm doing wrong. 

Been an issue pretty much since I've had 2020. Never encountered this before on my 2014 mac, or any earlier version of vectorworks.

Obvioulsly the speeds in this video are unacceptable and killing my proficiency.

As I said, hoping this is user error easily fixed.

Thanks for you help.

• Like 1

8 answers to this question

@Pat Stanford, is there someone I can contact to review the plans attached above? I'm still having painfully slow program running on my laptop with vectorworks. Would love to know if there are issues on my files that are corrupt that are causing the issues....but I'm constantly having deadlines that are hard to meet because I can't quickly resize the crop of the viewport, or move a viewport....as well as other issues dragging down the program.

On 4/1/2020 at 5:55 PM, markdd said:

For some reason Vectorworks restarted yesterday on the Display preference: Best compatibility.... worth checking if yours has done the same?

Go to Vectorworks Preferences and under the display tab, check that your Display preferences are set to Best Performance

655139606_Screenshot2020-04-15at17_49_12.thumb.png.1acb43ccdf0d9573440107cc421a98e4.png

Hi Eric, 

My suggestion to to contact VW Tech Support and send them the file. They can test and see if the file slows down their machine. Maybe they could even send you a "typical" file that works well for them and see if it runs slow on your machine.

If there is a problem with the file, Tech Support is going to be in a better position to try and find (and hopefully correct) the problem than anyone else.

Hi @Pat Stanford and @Eric Chase

I'm having the same issue  as you Eric, (didn't download the file yet due to very slow download speed) but I'm trying to work with some referenced dwg-files in my VW project and it's just silly how slow things are. Feels like a computer from 2001. I've sent a bug report via the "form" but haven't heard anything back yet (this was over 2 months ago). I've been working with AutoCAD, Revit and Fusion 360 but VW is by far the least responsive software that I've experienced in this category.  Worth mentioning is that I've worked with these dwg files flawlessly in Autocad with a computer that wasn't suppose to manage software like Autocad. 

Now I'm on this machine:

Intel Core i7-4770K CPU @ 3.5Ghz

16GB RAM

SSD Disk

Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070

3840x2160, 60Hz

Thanks!

You are normally not going to hear anything back from a Bug Submit. If you want VW Inc. (or your local Tech Support) to be involved you have to reach out to them directly.

Bug Submit is not a help request.

As I said above, ultimate slowness is not typical. Tech Support may be able to help you figure our what in your system or file is causing the slowness.

• Like 2