Export 3D model as 2D DWG - no viewports, no symbols

Hi,

Seems daft that I am having to post but is there a way to simply export sheet layer views of 3D model as a flat DWG? 

Ticking "Export Viewports as 2D graphics in Model Space" still results in a mess of viewports and symbols rather than one coherent DWG.  I just want everything (viewports, annotations & titles) from sheet layer as a simple flat DWG.  I don't want information that is under fills etc - only the lines rendered as in the PDF export.  Very frustrating that this most basic function seems beyond the export tool.

Many thanks if any one has managed this. 

Kind regards,
GK

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

On the export dialog, select to export the sheet only, and then check Export Viewports as 2D Graphic in Model Space. This exports just the graphics from the sheet as a model space. There is not accompanying model space. I've just tested this and imported the result into Vectorworks. I get a single flat 2D symbol that contains 2D linework. And I also get the drawing label.

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried exporting a sheet with elevations that were created from a model using the Create Multiple Viewports command.

I used the method Export Veiwpoints as 2D Graphic in Model Space. In the first attempt to import the file into a blank document I got the drawings and labels but the lines of the drawings were so heavy that the drawings details were obscured. I tried again and changed the lines to 1/8" and  the result was better. The problem is that the drawings were symbols and could not be altered. I then used the Convert to Lines command and can now alter the drawings. Is there an easier way to export and import drawings so that workable files can be used by consultants and then imported with changes?

• 1 year later...

Hi Tamsin, 

I am not seeing this Export Viewports as 2D Graphic in Model Space.  Could you advise please?

What I would like is to export my sheet (which is composed of 3d model and annotations) as a dwg to send the engineers.  How do I do this?

1.  Export > Dwg > DXF/DWG Export Options dialog box.  (lots to check and uncheck, "export as flattened 2d graphics" is the closest I can find to your suggestion and it is greyed out.  

Could you provide a screen shot if possible?  Many thanks! 🙂

On 4/1/2020 at 5:44 PM, Tamsin Slatter said:

I get a single flat 2D symbol that contains 2D linework. And I also get the drawing label.

I just wrote a "complaint" about this topic.
The output is not flat. If I make a layout with two details from a single section I become two symbols that are actually completely independent. This IMHO is a completely wrong use of symbols and merits the request from @GK2. Isn´t this a problem for Vectorworks Inc.?

In that case the two details are separate view(port)s and I would expect them the associated crops to export as independent symbols, also because the views may or may not be aligned.

That being said, it depends a bit on the drawing structure and concent how clean the export will be, but exporting sheet layer content as symbols and multiple viewports into DWG is not really desirable in most cases. Even with relatively clean (structure wise) drawings I may need to clean up DWG files to some extent, so yes export to DWG could be improved but this is (fortunately) one of the things listed on the roadmap for improvement.

Something to keep in mind is that not everything translates to/from DWG from/to Vectorworks in a straightforward ways so workarounds will sometimes still be necessary to keep it visually correct. It's an issue with other software as well where things can't be translated 1:1 because of differences in implementation and functionality.

On 10/30/2021 at 11:21 PM, Art V said:

I would expect them the associated crops to export as independent symbols

This can in no way align with the BIM workflow. If I make two details out of a single section, these details
1. Should NOT be made into symbols.
2. IF they have to, they should originate from a single "mother" symbol of the BIM section.