Rotating plan

mattfox

Question

Hi. I'm working on a drawing, which is oriented by site plan so that North is pointing up the page. The issue is that when I wish to add 3D elements in elevation, I need to always rotate the plan using the "Rotate Plan" tool. This is fine, however it's starting to become frustrating doing this every minute or so... Is there a way of orienting the drawing permanently (so that it is at right angles) without altering the North point? Sorry if this is a dumb question... I cannot seem to work it out.

Thanks,

Matt 

3 answers to this question

Hi Matt,

There are several ways of doing this. The most elegant I find is to use a Design Layer Viewport to rotate the site to make it convenient for drawing.

Create a Design Layer for your rotated site.

View>Create Viewport>Create on Layer>Choose this new Layer.

Select all the Layers you want this DLVP to display.

Hide the original site DLs

Now Rotate and move the DLVP (site) to suit.

When creating your Sheets you can rotate the SLVP back to the original site orientation.

Edited by bcd
  • Like 2

Rotate it to where you need to be for your elevation and then create a Saved View. Then you can get back to that setting with a two clicks. You can save multiple saved views with different view, sets or layer/classes, rendering styles, etc.

Saved views can be set and recalled from the Tool Bar at the top of the drawing windows or from the View menu. Saved views can also be viewed in a palette where they can be activated with a double click.

• Like 2

Thanks Pat and bcd. Good tips. I've been using saved views on and off for a while and didn't quite get on with them, as I was too used to the keyboard shortcuts (flipping from plan to elevation etc.). I'll try the viewport / design layer suggestion, this is something i've not thought of.

Many thanks for the help

Matt