Existing Tree Tag

Hi guys,

I was trying to do a few things with Existing tree tags, but couldn't find the way forward on my own. Perhaps someone could help.

First thing I wanted to do, was to replicate the way we annotate existing trees in our daily routine in AutoCAD. I tried to modify the tag information to show what I want, but I can't go beyond the options VW provides as options. For example the number only, number + name etc. I want a bit more information and cannot compose the built in tag this way. I think it is possible with proposed plants, but not with existing.

When I gave up I moved to creating my own Data Tag style, which largely worked. Two things I don't know again: how to then disable the automatic Tree Tag display and how to express TPZ in metres rather than in mm [by default]? With the latter, I tried to type in expression like /1000 in the tag data link, but it didn't work. I didn't expect it to, to be honest. I knew it had to be more to it than this.

Any experience and ideas, anybody?

I actually came across another problem with the same project and tagging exercise.

I initially created tags on Design Layer. Then I realised I should probably annotate the drawing in the Sheet Layer, so moved them all across. Not that that was smooth - I am not aware of the way to move items with reference point between Design Layer and Annotation space on a Sheet Layer.

As one could imagine, once moved all tags lost their association with tree objects. Now, when I tried to reassign them by just moving the marker, I was not able to choose which tree the tag should point to. VW tries to identify which object is relevant. And unfortunately it fails. For example, I tend to point to tree trunks, but always the wrong tree was selected. 

Does anyone know if there is a way to circle through the objects available within the tag's range? Like with some key pressed, e.g. like when using B key to X Ray the linework.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Michal,

Hope you're doing alright during these difficult and topsy-turvy times.

Regarding your first post:

You can turn off the existing tree tags by classify the tag in the Existing tree tool preferences and then turn off the class.

To change the units in the data tags from mm to meter - you can do this in the 'Define tag Field' window. When you add a new field to the tag and you've chosen the parameter name; right under that field you have a units dropdown menu as well. Change from Document Units to meter, decide on the Precision, add your preferred suffix and you're good to go.

Hope this helps.

Regarding your second post, can you give me a bit more information on the issue? I don't quite understand how you're tagging the existing trees - normally you'd have one tag for each of the trees as they all have unique ID numbers. Or are you referring to normal plants styles?

• Like 1

Hello Katarina,

Yes, the times are difficult. Looking outdoors everything looks normal, but when I think about all those poor people in hospitals, including the medical staff, I just can't think about going out and enjoying it.

Thank you so much for looking into my posts and helping out. I am aware that there are so many parameters, settings and options that it's easy to miss something. Which apparently keeps happening to me.

On 4/9/2020 at 11:05 AM, Katarina Ollikainen said:

You can turn off the existing tree tags by classify the tag in the Existing tree tool preferences and then turn off the class.

I knew it must be somewhere. I was looking a number of times into the ID options and display etc., but didn't notice the Class field right below it.

To change the units in the data tags from mm to meter - you can do this in the 'Define tag Field' window. When you add a new field to the tag and you've chosen the parameter name; right under that field you have a units dropdown menu as well. Change from Document Units to meter, decide on the Precision, add your preferred suffix and you're good to go.

It seems that I had this disabled when I was editing the style. When I added the TPZ/ RPA parameter again, the units were available to set up. And now I also understand the syntax behind the units.

That was very helpful Katarina. I am trying to create our VW resources so that they resemble our 'traditional' CAD ones and it seems to have been a steep learning curve. I suppose someone needs to pioneer it for the sake of the company 😒.

Now, the second post/ problem.

Or are you referring to normal plants styles?

No no no, I do refer to the Existing Trees. 

I realised that I have this problem only in the Annotation mode within a viewport. In a Design Layer, it's fine. The behaviour is slightly different between these two spaces as well. In the DL the tree shape is highlighted, whilst in the Annotation mode, it highlights as a square outline of the tree symbol (I suppose).

Anyway, I got back to the Design Layer with these tags.

Edited by Michal Zarzecki