Line weights in hatches problem

Hello all,

I am trying to set up hatches to give the impression of various shades of grey.

To do this I have created a standard hatches with an offset of 0.8mm then I try to edit the (black) line weight to get different darknesses.

I want to use a line weights of 0.02, 0.04, 0.06, 0.08

But I set up the first hatch, then the second, then the third, but when I look back at the first hatch it has taken on the line weight that I set for the third. Somehow the line weights seem linked even though each time I set up a new hatch from scratch.

I hope this is understandable. I am trying to create a drawing that looks like an etching (in the style of Piranesi) but this issue is stopping me doing this.

I realise this is a bit of a particular issue, but any thoughts would be appreciated, Nick

VW 11.5 on OS X 10.4

Might be answering my own question here, but is this related...?

I am trying to create a particular hatch for each class, but I'm finding that I can't give my hatch the same name as the class.

Eg. if I try to create a hatch called Nolli-2 for a class called Nolli-2 then VW automatically (without warning me) renames the hatch to Nolli-3. Is this normal behaviour?

Nick, As to your first issue, once you've created a hatch (or hatches) it's easy to go in and change the line weight. Simply find each hatcch in the resource browser (RB) and option-click it. When the hatch edit window opens, change the line weight and then click OK.

As for question #2, you are correct, you can only use a name once in VW's. So if you already have a layer (or a class or a symbol, etc)called "Blue" you cannot call your hatch "blue". But you could call it "blue hatch" or "blue 1"...

[ 11-05-2005, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: CipesDesign ]

Thanks Peter, I suspected #2 might be like that.

Bear with me on #1 though.

I create a hatch called "0.03" and edit the line weight to 0.03mm

I create a hatch called "0.04" and edit the line weight to 0.04mm

I create a hatch called "0.05" and edit the line weight to 0.05mm

BUT, the line weight in hatch "0.04" spontaneously becomes 0.05mm as well. Editing it back to 0.04mm spontaneously changes the line weight of hatch "0.05" to 0.04mm as well. Repeat ad infinitum...

It's quite odd. So far the problem doesn't seem to be there for thicker line weights though so I guess I'll just have to work round it.

Hi Nick,

Line widths are really set in mils (1/1000's of an inch), and have values of 1-255 mils. Even though you can also set them in mm or points, the internal representation is still in mils. The following should help show how it maps.

mm = mil

0.03 = 1.18 - rounds to 1 mil (minimum value)

0.04 = 1.57 - rounds to 2 mils

0.05 = 1.97 - rounds to 2 mils

0.06 = 2.36 - rounds to 2 mils

0.07 = 2.76 - rounds to 3 mils

0.08 = 3.15 - rounds to 3 mils

6.47 = 254.7 - rounds to 255 mils (maximum value)

As you can see, the mm scale is not uniform, especially at 1/100 mm resolution. I don't know if there is any change in how this is done in v12 as I am still awaiting the delivery guy.

The display toggling between 0.04 -> 0.05 -> 0.04, etc., is VW's way of showing the equivalent mm value of the 2 mil line by using the last mm value you typed in. Unfortunately, you cannot have both, so to appear consistent, VW displays the last entered mm value for all 2 mil lines, since 0.04mm and 0.05mm are really the same thickness.

HTH,

Raymond

Hi Raymond, it did occur to me late last night that I was trying to deal with ridiculously fine line weights, so I can't really blame VW for that kind of tolerance.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it though. I was worried that I was going to be limited to only one or two fine lined hatches which would have been a problem. Anyway, it's really nice to understand what's going on.

Thanks Nick