Preference to keep Resource Pallet open - VW/RW 2020

Elite Exhibits

Question

Question: Where is a preference to keep the Resource Manager Pallet “open”?

VW / RW 2020

Being a piano player… I use the left hand / keyboard shortcuts to open and close pallets as I need them… In VW/RW 2020, has this behavior changed only for the Resource Manager Pallet? What am I missing? The Resource Manager Pallet never fully opens till the cursor is over it?  Other pallets appear to behave as expected.

Resource Manager Pallet is active in the Window>Pallet

The Auto Hide settings under window>pallet options are off

Suggestions? - Thanks - Peter

14 answers to this question

At the upper right LEFT (too little proof reading) corner of the Resource Manager (or any palette), there is a small X to close the palette and next to that is either a + (plus sign) or - (minus sign). When you click the +/- they toggle. When it shows a + the palette will stay open. When it shows a - the palette will "window shade" (roll up) when the cursor is not over the palette.

Edited by Pat Stanford
Correct wrong side of palette specified

Pat,  ... I think I have my solution, although it is not so obvious, NOR is it consistent. Based on your suggestion I clicked the "Minus" sign that is to the upper left of the Resource Manager Pallet. Assumed that a "Minus" sign would only minimize the Resource Manager Pallet, NOT toggle its ability to remain open vs Auto-Hide / Auto-Float.  Oddly, the Attributes & the Working Plane Pallet both have this "Minus" sign ON in this Upper Left location & they stay open. They also open / close with Keyboard Commands as expected. Basic, Tools, & Object Info Pallets all have the "Plus" sign ON in the upper Left Location.  (...a bug?) - Thanks - Peter

Too little proofing. Upper Left is the correct location. Original post edited above.

I don't know why you are showing minus on Attributes and Working Plane. For me on VW2020 SP3 they are both showing + when stay open.

@techdef I don't know what the problem is with your system. Try restarting VW and if that is not enough restarting the computer. Ask again if the problem still exists.

I was talking about the X and +/- signs on the palettes.

I am not seeing what you are showing. When I have the Palettes showing  X – they window shade when I don't have the mouse over then. When a Palette is showing X + it stays open all the time.

Please try something for me:  Copy the single line script below. Go to the Resource Manager, click the New Resource button a the bottom left and click Script. Select Palette-1 (or whatever it suggests) by clicking Select. The Assign Name dialog box will open. Click OK. Palette-1 will open and will show the script name, probably Script-1.  Double click on the script. A dialog box will open. Tell me the results of that dialog box.  When I run it I get. "6775: TRUE  6776:FALSE". Do you get the same?

On 3/30/2020 at 11:08 AM, Pat Stanford said:

@techdef I don't know what the problem is with your system. Try restarting VW and if that is not enough restarting the computer. Ask again if the problem still exists.

still doing it... for me to keep palettes open I have to uncheck the "autohide floating palettes" option. There is no way to make them not auto-hide anymore

Pat

I am missing something ...

"Please try something for me:  Copy the single line script below. Go to the Resource Manager, click the New Resource button a the bottom left and click Script. Select Palette-1 (or whatever it suggests) by clicking Select. The Assign Name dialog box will open. Click OK. Palette-1 will open and will show the script name, probably Script-1.  Double click on the script. A dialog box will open. Tell me the results of that dialog box.  When I run it I get. "6775: TRUE  6776:FALSE". Do you get the same?"

¿ Something to copy and paste into the Script ?

Please let me know, 

when you have time …

Thanks - Peter

OK, the 6775 is the preference that controls the setting of autohiding floating palettes. 

If you want your floating palettes to autohide, go to the Window Menu:Palette Options and make sure there is a check next to "Autohide Floating Palettes". If there is a not a check you will see what you are seeing. The "button" is always a minus and you have to click it to open or close the palette. If there is a check there you can toggle between the plus and minus settings. In the plus setting it will always stay open. In the minus setting is will window shade when you are not hovering over the palette.

By any chance are you using a custom workspace that you have imported from previous versions of VW?

Pat

Thanks again for your assistance

Do not want the Auto-Hide feature - Thanks    ... Just want the desired Pallet to Open / Close with the Keyboard Shortcut.

I have it set up to the point where 2020 now behaves as desired.

However, you should note that the mix of "+ & -" signs, in the upper left, still exist in the Pallets even though they ALL remain open.

Affirmative to the  ... are you using a Custom Workspace, But Negative to the  ... that you have imported.

I typically have a lean Workspace sans the tools and features that are not needed in our discipline.

Thanks Again - Peter