Replace legacy font per batch conversion

When upgrading from VW10 to VW11.5 I tried to replace the Graphite font in all of my files with Arial. However, I still want to keep Graphite installed on my computer.

In order to use batch conversion for my extensive custom symbol libraries I installed Vectorworks on another computer that doesn't have Graphite installed. As expected, Graphite got replaced with Arial. But when I brought the file back to my workstation Graphite re-appeared.

It seems the files retain a "memory" of the original font and revert to it when it becomes available again. Is there a way to permanently replace a font without having to edit each text element in every file separately?

Thanks,

Dietmar

VWArchitect11.5 on PC

The only way to have it changed permanently is to physically change the font in the text menu with all the text items selected.

However, to save time, simply set up a font mapping in the VW preferences to map Graphite to Ariel.

Go to File>Preferences>VW Preferences

Click on the Display tab

Click on the Font mappings button

Select Graphite on the left

In the drop down box below "With", select Ariel.

Click OK when done.

Katie,

it seems to me that you can only map a font if that font is not installed on your computer, else it would not show in the left column of the mapping dialogue.

Changing drawings manually is a daunting task, as text can be buried deep down in symbols, groups, drawing labels, worksheets etc. Certainly not practical for hundreds of files.

The mapping tool should be enhanced to allow manual mapping of fonts, even if they are available on a computer, or a "replace font" tool. Any other ideas for now?

Thanks,

Dietmar

Katie,

this is equivalent to what I described in my initial posting: I did open the file on a computer without Graphite installed, mapped Graphite to Arial, saved the file. When opening it on a computer that has Graphite installed, the mapping no longer works and the file reverts to Graphite font. Unless there is a way to purge the "memory" of the obsolete font, this is not going to work. It seems a "map and replace font" tool is needed to accomplish the task.

Example: Your engineer sends a plan with Graphite font, the rest of your set is Arial and you want a uniform appearance, or better readability.

You should be able to change the font setting for the entire file, without editing individual objects. Just like font mapping, but as a deliberate act, rather than a necessity, because you're missing a font.

Please advise.

Dietmar

Ray,

in my experience you never catch everything that way. And changing libraries with thousands of symbols is tedious. That's why I ran the batch conversion from Version 10 to 11 on a computer that didn't have the font installed that I wanted to replace. It got automatically mapped to Arial, but the files seems to "remember" the original font and revert once it becomes available again.