Set all object to layer plane

Every now and then I copy a bunch of things from other 2d drawings, some in group, and some in symbols etc.

When I am turning these draw into a 3D model, often when I decompose them a lot of them will became screen plane, I was wondering is there a quick way to turn everything into layer plane ? plugins or Marionette ?

Many thanks

The quickest way I know is to use the Custom Modification command from the Tools Menu and set the selection criteria to Plane > Screen.  Then change everything to Layer in the Object Properties box that appears. 

You can make sure that it looks inside groups as well.....

You can also set the tool to create a script which will semi-automate the process after that.

• Like 4
13 hours ago, markdd said:

The quickest way I know is to use the Custom Modification command from the Tools Menu and set the selection criteria to Plane > Screen.  Then change everything to Layer in the Object Properties box that appears. 

You can also set the tool to create a script which will semi-automate the process after that.

Thanks, thats perfect.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/26/2021 at 11:16 PM, jeff prince said:

can someone explain how you load the planemode plugin provided in this thread?

I dropped the files in my plug-in folder, rebooted vectorworks, and went into my workspace editor yet I am unable to see the tools to add.

hi jeff prince. I have had the same issue. did you get this resolved?

• 7 months later...

Hi all,

This may be slightly unrelated but I have noticed whilst drawing in 2D (Layer plane) objects occasionaly will change onto the 3D plane, without me changing the working plane etc.

For example, when I copy and paste objects, the plane in the OIP automatically changes from layer to 3D. I am drawing in Top/Plan view (2D). If i duplicate the same objects they remain in the layer plane. It is very frustrating as it makes resizing very inaccurate and the objects often snap to different geometry or a differenct axis, i'm guessing in the 3D plane. I have searched through alot of the forums and posted about this before but haven't been able to figure out what the hell is going on or causing this. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. (Sample file attached)

Daniel.2128 Drawing File.vwx

• 9 months later...

@jeff prince and @Jamie Eden, I'm not sure if you ever figured this out, but the following worked for me:

Download Plugin and add to my plugin folder, which for me was in Applications > Vectorworks > Plugins

Do not unzip the downloaded file!

Go to Tools > Plugins >Plug in Manager

In "Third-party Plug-ins" select install, navigate to your Plugins folder & select your zipped file, then click Install.

Restart VWX when it prompts you to do so.

Now edit your workspace. You'll find the tools in generally a weirdly-named folder in the menus list. I'm seeing a folder for this tool called "panta rhei" or something similar. Added the tool to my workspace, ran it, and presto, no more Screen Plane objects. 

Thanks to Peter for linking the Layer Plane plugin!

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/29/2020 at 5:58 PM, markdd said:

Superstar!!