Jump to content
designedAF

Multi-Circuit instrument & Lightwright

Recommended Posts

I'm making Multi-Circuit (cell) fixtures (cyc lights, strip lights, LED strip lights), and I'm running into a snag.  

 

I'll use a Par64 6 Par Bar as an example.  I made a symbol of a Par64 with a connecting line, and then lined up 6 of those symbols (not devices) and made a symbol out of them.  Then I edited that symbol and added an Info Record. That all works properly, and shows up in the resource manager, and populates as 6 individually addressable lights.  

 

But what I want to have happen next, is that in Lightwright, the 'counting' would only count it as one Par Bar, as opposed to 6.  This might be better suited for the light wright forums, but does anyone have any advice on this/better methods for this?  Thank you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

In this topic you can find a tutorial made by @markdd on how to make a multi circuit fixture.  Not shure if that solves you Lightwright question as I do not use that. 
 

 

Edited by Sebastiaan

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks the video was helpful on some things.  As to my original issue, what I've discovered is that Lightwright 6 will count multiple lights as one unit if you assign it the same unit number (or standard multi unit numbering) and position.  So a 6-Bar symbol will be counted as one 6 bar, and not 6, if it has traditional multi-circuit unit numbering (1-A, A-1, etc..) and if all the instruments have the same position.  

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, designedAF said:

Thanks the video was helpful on some things.  As to my original issue, what I've discovered is that Lightwright 6 will count multiple lights as one unit if you assign it the same unit number (or standard multi unit numbering) and position.  So a 6-Bar symbol will be counted as one 6 bar, and not 6, if it has traditional multi-circuit unit numbering (1-A, A-1, etc..) and if all the instruments have the same position.  

 

Sounds logical to me actually. If the 6-bar takes up 6 dimmer channels then in the desk it would be 6 channel numbers also. 

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Sebastiaan said:

If the 6-bar takes up 6 dimmer channels then in the desk it would be 6 channel numbers also.

 

Not necessarily.  It depends on what you mean by "dimmer channels".  If those are the numbers of the devices supplying power, it is quite conceivable that each would require a separate dimmer (depending on wattage and dimmer capacity) but be assigned the same control channel.  If you would plug 6 1k PARS into a 6k dimmer,  you would be willing to plug them into 6 1k dimmers or 3 2k dimmers and assign them to the same control channel.  Not the way I would do it, but I have seen it done often.   Doing so would give you less control, but could simplify.  Anyway, 6 dimmers does not always mean 6 channels of control.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Sam Jones said:

 

Not necessarily.  It depends on what you mean by "dimmer channels".  If those are the numbers of the devices supplying power, it is quite conceivable that each would require a separate dimmer (depending on wattage and dimmer capacity) but be assigned the same control channel.  If you would plug 6 1k PARS into a 6k dimmer,  you would be willing to plug them into 6 1k dimmers or 3 2k dimmers and assign them to the same control channel.  Not the way I would do it, but I have seen it done often.   Doing so would give you less control, but could simplify.  Anyway, 6 dimmers does not always mean 6 channels of control.

Hi Sam,

 

of course more pars could be in one channel. It’s very common to put two or more conventionals in one dimmer circuit. But in that case in my paperwork they would share the same channel number. And I want them to be in one line in my patch lists in stead of split. 
 

the topic starter said that LW treats conventional fixtures with the same channel number as one fixture and that is logical to me if they are on the same dimmer circuit.

 

Edit: Sorry didn’t really read your post wel, yes indeed one could apply the same adress to multiple dimmer channels. Might be a rare case where one would need the parameters very badly. But in my years that has not occurred yet so I would not mis that feature in the software. 

Edited by Sebastiaan

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


 

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

 

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.

×
×
  • Create New...