Multi-Circuit instrument & Lightwright

I'm making Multi-Circuit (cell) fixtures (cyc lights, strip lights, LED strip lights), and I'm running into a snag.  

I'll use a Par64 6 Par Bar as an example.  I made a symbol of a Par64 with a connecting line, and then lined up 6 of those symbols (not devices) and made a symbol out of them.  Then I edited that symbol and added an Info Record. That all works properly, and shows up in the resource manager, and populates as 6 individually addressable lights.  

But what I want to have happen next, is that in Lightwright, the 'counting' would only count it as one Par Bar, as opposed to 6.  This might be better suited for the light wright forums, but does anyone have any advice on this/better methods for this?  Thank you! 

Thanks the video was helpful on some things.  As to my original issue, what I've discovered is that Lightwright 6 will count multiple lights as one unit if you assign it the same unit number (or standard multi unit numbering) and position.  So a 6-Bar symbol will be counted as one 6 bar, and not 6, if it has traditional multi-circuit unit numbering (1-A, A-1, etc..) and if all the instruments have the same position.  

Just now, designedAF said:

Thanks the video was helpful on some things.  As to my original issue, what I've discovered is that Lightwright 6 will count multiple lights as one unit if you assign it the same unit number (or standard multi unit numbering) and position.  So a 6-Bar symbol will be counted as one 6 bar, and not 6, if it has traditional multi-circuit unit numbering (1-A, A-1, etc..) and if all the instruments have the same position.  

Sounds logical to me actually. If the 6-bar takes up 6 dimmer channels then in the desk it would be 6 channel numbers also. 

20 hours ago, Sebastiaan said:

If the 6-bar takes up 6 dimmer channels then in the desk it would be 6 channel numbers also.

Not necessarily.  It depends on what you mean by "dimmer channels".  If those are the numbers of the devices supplying power, it is quite conceivable that each would require a separate dimmer (depending on wattage and dimmer capacity) but be assigned the same control channel.  If you would plug 6 1k PARS into a 6k dimmer,  you would be willing to plug them into 6 1k dimmers or 3 2k dimmers and assign them to the same control channel.  Not the way I would do it, but I have seen it done often.   Doing so would give you less control, but could simplify.  Anyway, 6 dimmers does not always mean 6 channels of control.

14 minutes ago, Sam Jones said:

Not necessarily.  It depends on what you mean by "dimmer channels".  If those are the numbers of the devices supplying power, it is quite conceivable that each would require a separate dimmer (depending on wattage and dimmer capacity) but be assigned the same control channel.  If you would plug 6 1k PARS into a 6k dimmer,  you would be willing to plug them into 6 1k dimmers or 3 2k dimmers and assign them to the same control channel.  Not the way I would do it, but I have seen it done often.   Doing so would give you less control, but could simplify.  Anyway, 6 dimmers does not always mean 6 channels of control.

Hi Sam,

of course more pars could be in one channel. It’s very common to put two or more conventionals in one dimmer circuit. But in that case in my paperwork they would share the same channel number. And I want them to be in one line in my patch lists in stead of split. 

the topic starter said that LW treats conventional fixtures with the same channel number as one fixture and that is logical to me if they are on the same dimmer circuit.

Edit: Sorry didn’t really read your post wel, yes indeed one could apply the same adress to multiple dimmer channels. Might be a rare case where one would need the parameters very badly. But in my years that has not occurred yet so I would not mis that feature in the software. 

Edited by Sebastiaan