Correct import settings from an Archicad dwg file

KarynT

I’m using landmark and received dwg files from an architect firm that uses Archicad. When I import the Dwg into a blank file as recommended, many of the building as designed are grouped into symbols containing separate lines, all classed to match the area of construction + pen type for that element + the fill.
I’m having issues reading the lines of the structure due to this symbol issue and have taken to tracing the outline and skipping the dwg. (PITA!)

I’m self-taught, NOT a landscape architect by training, and don’t know protocols for AutoCAD types of programs.

A - is this normal for the import to behave this way or am I hitting the options wrong?
B - how do I get the basic outline of the structures to appear correctly?
C - are these issues maybe caused by a studio standard that doesn’t align with reality?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Thank you, @KarynT! That means a lot.

Yes, It would be a "save as..." and then "IFC file". This also retains all data associated to any object in the data tab of the object info palette. IFC (Industry Foundation Classes) is just a non-proprietary or open file format that allows for the exchange of 3d geometry and data. I just find it works best when exchanging between various software programs 😉 

• Like 1