VW 12 Render Speed...

If anything, it's slower. I expected 11.5 to be faster than 10.5, which it wasn't -- much much slower -- and 12 so far is even worse.

I found that often a final render was faster than Open GL rendering! Outrageous. (All this on a Mac G5 dual processor machine.)

And, A simple test I've done, has real strange errors in rendering. I drew a circle and rectangle, with some overlap, and extruded them. Filleted the edges. Chose a color. The color shows up in OpenGL rendering but it's gray in final. But in open GL the surfaces disappear, though they are there in final. Different rendering styles give different -- inconsistent -- results.

This is very depressing. Then again, the interface is different enough that it probably won't be all that bad to switch to Solidworks, which I am -- sadly -- thinking of doing. VW 12 is just too slow, and not really optimized for mechanical design.

Please fix it so I don't have to get a PC!

• Administrator

Hi Eddie,

The file you sent me on August 17, 2005 (ABC Childcare) was timed by our engineer to be faster in 12 than 11.5.1 and likely faster than in 11.0.1. I have asked our QA staff to run some fresh numbers with the final release of VW12 as the engineering timings were done with a late beta. We have had similar results with rest files sent to us by Tech Forum user DDDesign. I'll post an update when we have new results.

Hi Jeff,

I haven't heard from you before on your issues in 11.5. I'll offer the same thing to you as I have offered in the past to Eddie & David who have had past concerns about render speed. Please send me a file representing the problem case and describe what you have noticed - either slowdowns from past releases or geometry problems, and I'll get them looked at ASAP. I'll be glad to let you know what we find.

• Administrator

Hi Eddie,

These are the results from your test file:

Dual 2.7 GHz G5, Mac OS 10.4.3, 2.5 GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9650

FQRW (Low)/ 11.0.1: 3 mins 31 secs

FQRW (Low)/ 11.5.1: 5 mins 1 secs

FQRW (Low)/ 12.0.0: 3 mins 30 secs

It was slower in 11.5 because we were rendering multiple tiles rather than all at once & this was restored in VectorWorks 12.

If I were in Marketing, I'd say that viewport rendering in 12 is faster than either 11 or 11.5.

Here are some results of render speed tests of a file provided by forum user DDDesign:

11-7-2005 Results: 1.8GHz G5 w/ 1GB RAM running 10.3.9

FQRW test: 11.0.1/ 3D conversion res 'Very High' --> 13 secs

FQRW test: 11.5.1/ 3D conversion res 'Very High' --> 22 secs

FQRW test: 12.0.0/ 3D conversion res 'Very High' --> 14 secs

FQRW test: 11.0.1/ 3D conversion res 'Low' --> 13.50 secs

FQRW test: 11.5.1/ 3D conversion res 'Low' --> 22 secs

FQRW test: 12.0.0/ 3D conversion res 'Low' --> 9 secs

HLR test: 11.0.1/ 3D conversion res 'Very High' --> 34 secs

HLR test: 11.5.1/ 3D conversion res 'Very High' --> 22 secs

HLR test: 12.0.0/ 3D conversion res 'Very High' --> 16 secs

HLR test: 11.0.1/ 3D conversion res 'Low' --> 5 secs

HLR test: 11.5.1/ 3D conversion res 'Low' --> 5 secs

HLR test: 12.0.0/ 3D conversion res 'Low' --> 3 secs

CustomRW test: 11.0.1/ 3D conversion res 'Very High' --> 19 secs

CustomRW test: 11.5.1/ 3D conversion res 'Very High' --> 28 secs

CustomRW test: 12.0.0/ 3D conversion res 'Very High' --> 18 secs

CustomRW test: 11.0.1/ 3D conversion res 'Low' --> 18 secs

CustomRW test: 11.5.1/ 3D conversion res 'Low' --> 27 secs

CustomRW test: 12.0.0/ 3D conversion res 'Low' --> 22 secs

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I'm interested to know if VW12 is also faster in 2D redrawing.

I'm having files that on my G5 DP 2,0 employ 18 sec. for total redrawing, and I would have an opinion if the graphic card can influence a lot... in this case would be disposed to spend monay to change my radeon 9600pro with a 9800xt or a x800. [Confused]

• 2 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi aladino, could you send us the files you are having problems with so we can investigate this further ? also do you have Quartz turned ON or OFF in the VW Prefs dialog ?

Walid Remaili

Quality Assurance

wremaili@nemetschek.net

NNA