Jack field and terminal panel deafults

twalker

Is there a way to change the signal type and connector defaults of the jack field and terminal panels.  I am stuck either having to edit each one individually to make sure that it has the correctly connectors.  

Is there a way to edit them all together?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello!

Jackfields and term panels don't have a signal type. We have a special signal type --- which denotes a passive device. Circuits are designed to ignore passive devices when they calculate the their signal type.

Regarding connector types, which jackfields and term panels are not right for you?

Best regards

Conrad

Ok that makes sense on the signal type.

As far as the connectors, they aren't incorrect, I just sometimes need them to be different from the default.  For example sometimes I need the optical jackfield tool to be an ST connector, and others I need it to be an LC.  The way that im currently changing them is to either use the tool to place the number that I need (using the repeat field) and having the port numbers be correct but having to edit each jack individually to change the connector type or placing 1 jack, modifying the connector, then duplicating that connector as many times as is needed.  The latter leaves me having to go into each individual jack and re label the port numbers.  

Just for reference, which tool would be the correct one to use to illustrate a custom rack panel.  Im building a system, that feeds everything back to the truck via several fiber racks.  These racks have all of the I/O gear to break out to the individual items in the field, so a custom panel is the interface to get it all connected.  Some of the jacks are just pass thru barrels, where as others are soldered connectors.  How do I note this on the drawing.  For instance if I place a audio terminal panel (which would have my soldered connections) it doesnt allow me to change the connector label on the cable that would be inside the rack.  Would that be the appropriate time to use an audio jackfield?  From what i've read it sounds like those are used to illustrate a WECO style patch panel.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @twalker

You have a point regarding the connector defaults. I'll give it some thought and get back to you.

Custom panels are handled by the Connector Panel Tool. This tool is created to model the situation you describe where you have a bunch of chassis connector mounted on a sheet metal plate. On schematics you use the tool to place the devices that represent your panel connectors and where they go in terms of connectivity. There are two types of Connector Panel device:

• Input (green) - where the cable of the left has a connector and the cable on the right terminates directly on the chassis connector (type <--)
  • Output (red) - where the cable of the right has a connector and the cable on the left terminates directly on the chassis connector (type -->)

And on a layout layer you can model these as Equipment Items. And of course they can be set to standard rack dimensions. There is a how-to article in

that talks in more detail about this.

Best regards

Conrad