Reference Marker - unable to change double spacing

Hi all

I've having some weird issues with reference marker text style

basically no matter what i do it's always double spaced (hence looks mis-aligned)

i tried to create a new text style as default, made sure it's single spacing but still didnt fix the issue

Anyone have any thoughts on trouble shooting?

Thanks in advance

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 10.42.58 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 10.42.42 pm.png

Edited by MickyC
add screenshot

The only thing I can think of is to set the line spacing to single from the menu bar before you draw a reference marker.

image.thumb.png.4a78952dd5daecb844d198e7dba6d233.png

I was able to replicate the double spacing in the reference marker by setting the spacing to double space before I drew the marker. I could not change it to single by selecting the marker and then using the above menu to select single.

Hope that helps.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@MickyC,

Try this:

1. Make sure no object is selected.
  2. Change the Spacing to Single Space in the Text menu.  This sets the document default Text Spacing.
  3. Reset the Reference Marker by changing a parameter.

It looks like there's a bug in the Reference Marker is taking on the document default Text Spacing instead of its own.

7 hours ago, MickyC said:

@Matt Panzer 

Hi Matt

I tried your suggestion unfortunately and changed all the possible parameters but still didn't work

Bug indeed

Thanks

Are you sure you set the Spacing to Single Space in the Text menu with no objects selected in the document?  Make sure the Object Info palette says "no object selected" at the top when you do this.  Setting it for the Reference Marker object (when it's selected) will not help because of the bug.  At least that's what I'm seeing.

6 hours ago, MickyC said:

Thanks for the document.

I just realized the Text Spacing setting is an application-wide setting and sets the default for all documents.  This makes it impossible to see what settings you have.  In any case, here's what I tried with your file:

1.  Opened your file
  2. With nothing selected, I checked the Text Spacing setting in the Text menu.
    For me, it's set to "Single Spacing" but, if it were different, I would set it to Single Spacing
  3. Selected the Reference Marker
  4. In the Object Info palette, I changed the Arrow Fill to "None" to trigger the object to reset.
    This resulted in the text becoming Single Spaced in the object.
    Setting the Arrow Fill back to "Solid" or changing any other parameter should also result in the text being single spaced.

I then tried this:

1. Deselected the object
  2. Changed the Text Spacing setting in the Text menu to Double Spacing.
  3. Selected the Reference Marker
  4. In the Object Info palette, I changed the Arrow Fill parameter to trigger the object to reset.
    This resulted in the text becoming Double Spaced in the object.

So, at least on my computer, if I always keep the default Text Spacing to Single Spacing in Vectorworks, the problem never happens.

Please let me know if you are seeing different.

Hi @MickyC,

Sorry this did not work for you.  Rather than reinstalling, another thing you can try is to delete (or rename) the user folder.  I usually rename it to something like "2020-BAK" in case I want to revert back to it or copy files to the new user folder later.  When starting Vectorworks, a new "2020" folder will be created.  If the problem is fixed and you have any files you'd like to copy from the old user file (workspaces, custom plug-ins, etc), quit Vectorworks, copy them, and see if the problem comes back.  If it does, one of those file may be the culprit.

The default symbols have been poorly configured from the start. There needs be be better control using the object info palette.
These need more attention.

By default, the top text object should be closer to the horizontal bar, and set to center, bottom aligned.

By default, the bottom text object should be closer to the horizontal bar, and set to center, top aligned.

I've found that Sketchup has better out of the box symbols than Vectorworks. That should be. 

7 minutes ago, Clint Alderman said:

The default symbols have been poorly configured from the start. There needs be be better control using the object info palette.
These need more attention.

By default, the top text object should be closer to the horizontal bar, and set to center, bottom aligned.

By default, the bottom text object should be closer to the horizontal bar, and set to center, top aligned.

I've found that Sketchup has better out of the box symbols than Vectorworks. That should be. 

I agree.  While these problems have been on the radar for some time, we're actively looking at ways to improve them.