Change shadows in Viewport object palette

rohantheboat

Question

Hi, instead of having to keep adding heliodons in model space every time you want to change the shadow time of day, put them on different classes and manage all the classes in each viewport which is a pretty labour intensive exercise and prone to mistakes can you just set the projects location in the document preferences once, then have one global sun in your model, and have the ability to turn the shadows on or off in the object info palette of each viewport. 

And you also have the ability to adjust the time of day and month etc from this same viewport info palette, so each sun setting is controlled by the palette, not heliodons all over the place?

Then there is only one global sun setting in model space with a menu bar that you can adjust there which is independent to the viewports?

2 answers to this question

Have you looked at the Visualization Palette? This allows you to control which light sources are visible either in the current view ("Current Scene") or on a per viewport basis. Saves have all of the extra classes you are talking about.

It does not eliminate the need to have helicons for each date/time you are interested in.

Thanks Pat, I am using it like that now.

Our council asks for shadow studies for 3 times of the days for winter and summer solstice, so 6 heliodons.  I also have 2 heliodons setup for 45 degree shadows for the North and South elevations, then extra heliodons for nice looking shadows with each individual perspective view.  Each time you want to change the shadow you need to move back to the design layer and change the time, then back to the sheet.  If you create a new perspective view and want a new shadow you need to make sure that heliodon class is turned off in all the other viewports.  It just seems crazy that you can't just control the time and date per viewport in sheet space while you are there.  

I also like to show clients around the model changing the sun times, if it was a task bar time slider without first selecting the right heliodon and making sure the other classes weren't on, and fumbling around.  I know you can set up saved viewports, but sometimes you are on the fly with a client sitting there.

Coming from other programs there are easier ways of doing things.