Clip cube section viewport has a black mask

MarcW

hello forum users (first post so go easy :-))

I have been working with a Faro scanner to collect point cloud data. Imported the point cloud into vw (2020) to play with. When I select the clip cube tool, set a clipping side to my desired selection and select "create section viewport", the viewport always seems to come up with a black mask obscuring the desired selection. This is whether I try to place the viewport onto a design layer or a sheet layer. 

Is it something to do with the fact that I am manipulating a point cloud rather than other object, either drawn in vw or imported in? I watched a tutorial uploaded 3 years ago that was simply doing what I wanted - but, of course, without the intruding black mask. Below I have added a screen shot to better illustrate my dilemma. 

Looking forward to the replies

best regards

Marc

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 17.38.32.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Alas, I am having the same problem in VW 2020, Clip cube works correctly in Design Layers, but creating section viewports it is a black square.  I have tried the fill options, and also seen the webinar about working with pointclouds from some years ago. 

• 2 months later...

Wondering if anyone has found a solution to this?  I'm having the same issue but unlike the OP, the cut plane shown on the face of my clip cube displays a section exactly as I would like to see it (like that shown above by James H.) however, when the viewport is created on a sheet layer, it displays as a solid rectangle.  I naturally assumed that the creation of a section viewport from the clip cube would be WYSIWYG.  I tried editing the section style to display a hatch instead of solid fill, and the viewport updates accordingly to a hatched rectangle, so clearly VW is treating it as a solid object. The fill attribute on my point cloud object is set to "none", so that's not the problem.  

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@DBCOVW sorry for the lateness of reply and no, I didn't get to the bottom of the problem. I haven't upgraded to 21 yet (end of feb) and am going to be playing with point clouds again at this time - so if you come across a solution/work around, I would greatly appreciate you sharing.

Sorry I can't be of more help

I have found the same issue with 21. And it has been reported as a bug to VW and been able to replicate it in 20 when I submitted it. Same position as MarcW haven't been in the point cloud world and ended up using Revit to do what I needed to do at the time because of this bug.