Insert Truss vs Hanging Position

MSLD

So it sounds like Hanging Positions are being phased out. If we are to switch to 'Insert Truss' tools, I have a few questions.

1) I'd like to have a data tag that shows truss system name, trim height, and length. I can make a tag that shows system name and object trim height, but I can't get the system length, only the length of 1 piece. Also, this only works if the truss is a system, not a group or a hanging position. Having to go to the OIP to select the system every time you want to move it is a pain.

2) I'd also like to make a worksheet with system name, overall truss length, trim height and truss counts. Similar to what you see when you use 'Replace truss'. I can make a worksheet with System name and components, but not quantities or trim.

Anyone have suggestions on how to work make this work? The tutorials and Vectorworks U are obsolete.

Truss Tags.pdf

There are a bunch of ways to assemble truss

1. Truss Tool

2. Collection of truss symbols

3. Truss symbols placed with the Insert Truss tool

4. A hanging position of individual truss symbols

5. A hanging position of individual truss symbols grouped

6  A hanging position of truss symbols placed with the Insert Truss tool

7. A hanging position of truss symbols placed with the Insert Truss tool grouped.

and maybe others.

How data is reported by each of the above can be different.  A tool and plug-in object in AutoPlot Tools for Spotlight tries to deal with some of this.

It might be possible to create a worksheet of the labels that have collected data.  Below is a screen shot of different truss constructions using different truss labels from that tool.

image.thumb.png.c4b35b21068b203955c08645abb036e6.png

Thanks Sam. I haven't kept up with all the new features in Autoplot. It looks like it works with Hanging positions, grouped trusses, and individual sticks of truss, but it doesn't recognize a system of trusses. The whole 'truss system' vs hanging position looks like it needs some work.

The "Truss system" is a set of auto joined truss pieces. I think they keep it that way for braceworks, but it means you have to go to the OIP to select the 'system' if you want to move it, or to change the trim height. If you grab a single stick of truss, it moves independently, and breaks the 'system'  

When I made the Truss Label object I discovered that I could not find a way to determine that the truss symbols placed with the "Insert Truss" tool were all connected together.  There must be a way, but I have yet to find it.  As a result, my users need to group such inserted truss, and then the label can pool the truss symbols in the group to collect the data in the label.  Maybe someone out there can tell us what the secret piece of data is that VS needs to read in order to know what symbol is connected to what symbol.

Have you looked in the Truss Analysis section of the Function Reference recently?

VectorScript Declaration:

PROCEDURE   OLDSelectTrussSystem

( trussHandle:HANDLE ) ;

Python:

def  vs.OLDSelectTrussSystem(trussHandle):

   return None

Description:

Using the given handle, selects the whole truss system the objects is part of.

VectorScript Declaration:

PROCEDURE   OLDSelectTrussSystem
( trussHandle:HANDLE ) ;
Python:

def  vs.OLDSelectTrussSystem(trussHandle):
   return None
Description:

Using the given handle, selects the whole truss system the objects is part of.

I don't think the OLD mean OLD as in don't use is. I think it is just a prefix that meant something to the original programmer. Other procedures are prefixed DLD.

On 3/25/2020 at 5:50 PM, Sam Jones said:

There are a bunch of ways to assemble truss

1. Truss Tool

2. Collection of truss symbols

3. Truss symbols placed with the Insert Truss tool

4. A hanging position of individual truss symbols

5. A hanging position of individual truss symbols grouped

6  A hanging position of truss symbols placed with the Insert Truss tool

7. A hanging position of truss symbols placed with the Insert Truss tool grouped.

and maybe others.

How data is reported by each of the above can be different.  A tool and plug-in object in AutoPlot Tools for Spotlight tries to deal with some of this.

It might be possible to create a worksheet of the labels that have collected data.  Below is a screen shot of different truss constructions using different truss labels from that tool.

image.thumb.png.c4b35b21068b203955c08645abb036e6.png

@Sam Jones The truss labels in your image above, did you enter the data manually (like for the truss piece counts) or is there a way in a worksheet to pull data from child objects (pieces of truss inside a hanging position)?

The truss labels collect most of the information (like the truss piece counts), but some truss assemblies are weird and report weird results, to me anyway, so all fields can be manually overridden.  Circle trusses are an example of inconsistent data reporting.  Weight is also a problem.  The labels collect weight, but there are inconsistencies there also.  For example, Hanging Positions which usually provide good info, have a problem with custom weights (I can't remember what they're called, but those thingies you attach to truss to represent objects that do not have weight data)  The vast majority of data is reliably reported, but it assumes that the data attached to the truss objects is good.  Garbage in, garbage out.

I just read some fo your other posts... I assume you were using your custom Truss Label PIO?

I'm trying to find a way to create a worksheet of Hanging Positions where I can total up the lengths from the truss records of the truss objects within the hanging position. I am not skilled enough at this point to write a script so I was wondering if there was a way to drill down with a worksheet formula.

Thanks!

Marcus