Floors

I'm curious, Richard, why this feels like a work-around to you? Would not a sloped floor have to be created basically the same way? In fact, I kind of like the "roof\floor" PIO because I can specify a different texture/fill for the edges than the slope. . .something that hasn't been possible with the Floor PIO.

Just curious.

I guess I think along the same lines as Andrew. . .does it really make a difference what the title in the PIO says? I suppose it could be renamed the slope-able, mostly horizontal object! [Razz]

If we have a PIO with the functionality ? whatever it happens to be called ? then we don't we actually have the functionality?

Truth is, the visibility and detail (line weight, fill, etc.) of whatever object is used can be controlled by Classes. If I assign the floor class to an object, that's how I think of it. . . rather than which PIO I used to create the object.

Maybe that's helpful,

Richard,

Kudos to you for your persistence. I (as well as many here, I imagine) am also self-taught. VW was the only CAD program that I thought I might have a chance of learning on my own. . .part of the reason I purchased it in the first place.

After some years of using VW on a daily basis, I purchased Archoncad's manuals. They were worth every penny paid. Though they won't suggest using the roof PIO to create a floor, they might still be of value for you. (No I'm not affiliated, but for this endorsement I might get another free pencil!)

Good luck and keep asking questions,

sounds like something you would buy in Anne Summers.....(UK users will understand that!).

Seriously though, I curious as to what extra functionality you would need in a floor slab tool? Cutouts, localised slopes, steps?

Of course what NNA could do is simply duplicate the roof face tool and call it Floor slope tool....wouldn't be the first time thats happened eh!

I agree with Richard though. There's no point in hanging onto these silly little quirks in VW. They're unintuitive and are hence a barrier to learning and use. You shouldn't have to come to a forum to ask about something as basic as this.

Such quirks exist, I assume, because the program has gradually become more complex over time without strong overview.

Work-arounds are great but they shouldn't be passed off as unproblematic. They should be accepted for what they are: a way of doing something because the software is lacking, and temporary way.

With the advent of VW 12 it looks like the overview department has been given the wheel again. It's given me a lot of confidence in the future of Vectorworks and I'm sure quirks such as the one noted here by Richard is in their firing line.

[ 11-03-2005, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Christiaan ]