Data Tags Moving or Losing Connection

ericjhberg

Question

We are running into an issue where data tags placed in viewport annotations continually lose their connection to the data and sometimes even shift locations to way outside of the original viewport bounds.

Obviously this is a problem if we are trying to use them to annotate viewports in complex construction document sets because we shouldn't have to constantly re-spend the time associating the data tags with their objects or move them around. 

image.thumb.png.6f4fb0a15892ae3e83726837bf6abd94.png

This is likely similar to the issue stated under this thread.

• Like 1

12 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Eric,

If you use project sharing, the problem is fixed for VW2020 SP2. The fix will not reconnect automatically disconnected data tags. After the fix the data tags will not lost them connections anymore. Unfortunately you have to reconnect disconnected  data tags manually.

If you still see this issue, could you send me a test file with steps how to reproduce?

Best Regards,

Kosta

Hi Eric,

For shifting I am not sure whether this is same issue. If you are able to add a bug (or to send a test file with steps how to reproduce) for this We will analyze it.

Thanks,Kosta

We continue to get this constantly and we are frustrated as hell. 
A drawing seems perfectly fine with data tags reporting the correct information.

But upon publishing, the data tag blanks out, and we get data tags with no content. 

We then retag them.

This is such a waste of time, we do this over and over and over again. 
We are on 2020SP3 btw. 

I just tried using 'print' instead of 'publish' to see if this issue resolves. 
It didnt.

image.thumb.png.aee214c2d8ba1b897e2a24559f180ead.png

We have a perfectly tagged drawing that we simply can't send out because when we try to output it weI lose our tags

SO, this is becoming a frustrating catch-22 for us. Tag-print-lose tag-Tag-print -lose tags. 

Can someone at Vectorworks fix this immediately? Data tags was touted as one of the crowning achievements in VW2020 but gosh it just doesn't work!!!
Am I supposed to send my contractors a screen grab??? How very unprofessional 

This we reported this issue in another form on March 13th in another post but it now still persist. Frustrating and unacceptable!

• Like 1

Hello,

For what it's worth, I used to have problems exporting PDF until I turned off rasterise and subset fonts. have you tried that ?

I've also noticed some problems with other applications running at the same time : safari, mail, etc. Have you tried closing other applications ?

But, it seems like its something else entirely …

m

@mbft I didn’t try the above two things you mentioned but will give it a try.

however, a robust, well tested program shouldn’t require us to waste time to find awkward ‘workarounds’. 

data took seemed like a good idea when developed by the engineers, but in reality wasted so much of our office hours that we would have been better if to manually tag everything in the first place.

@klvanov can you please swiftly attend to this? Also I note I cannot tag you in posts, and if you blocked me from doing so because of my Previous complaints about data tagging tool I suggest you remove the block, otherwise I’ll ask the forum moderator to do so

@Amorphous - Julian As one of the moderator, you need to check your attitude a little.

Konstandin Ivanov did not block you. You typed his handle wrong. You typed KLvanov using a lower case letter L. His handle is @KIvanov with a capital letter i.  In this san serif font it is very hard to tell the difference between l and I.

I understand that this is a very serious and important problem for you. And I also understand that VW is not always forthcoming about what is happening behind the curtain. But you have no idea what is causing the problem or what it is going to take to fix it. If it was as easy to fix as you think, they would have fixed it for a service pack. If they did not fix it it is not because they don't want to but because it probably is something much deeper and is either going to break something else to fix it or have some other bad or worse consequence.

<Personal Opinion>

Like it or not, it is quite likely that this will not get fixed in VW2020. That is a horrible answer and I am making that statement with zero inside knowledge, just a lot of years reading the posts here. If that is not acceptable to you, then you need to consider switching software. But in my experience ALL software has bugs and you could just as easily run into a show stopper for the way you want to work in any other package as well.

Honey works much better here than vinegar

</Personal Opinion>

I hope I am wrong and that VW is able to get you the fix you need in the near future.

• Like 1

Might I politely suggest that, in principle, any product marketed and sold as featuring certain functionalities, should factually feature those functionalities.

Imagine someone buying a VW2020 license thinking it features data tagging and then noticing that in reality the tool doesn't work reliably, and that the tool is not going to be fixed until the next version, which requires a paid subsrciption or a paid update.

How could this situation be interpreted, from a customers' point of view, in legal sense?

Software engineering is by no means easy, and I understand the complexities involved. However a lot of these issues could be removed with a longer testing period. Perhaps a separate stable and beta distributions if not otherwise possible. 

In my opinion, all tools and features the product is advertised as having should fully work without the need to pay for another update. How else could it be? New features are another thing and justify a paid update.

• Like 1

Hi @Amorphous - Julian

I was out of the office from 16th April till today.

Could you send me a steps or video how to reproduce the problem? I was not able to reproduce from blank file. I guess that your data tags were disconnected before publishing, but you do not see this, because they are not reset. The exporting of PDF has option for resetting plug-ins.

Could your data tags/file be broken before exporting? Could you reproduce the problem from a blank file? We need a steps how to reproduce the problem otherwise we cannot fix it.

If you able to reproduce the issue from a blank file this will be very useful. Also if this is related with project sharing we need to know this and steps how to be reproduced.

I added a short video with steps what I am doing.

Best Regards,

Kostadin Ivanov

Data Tag.mkv