Working with clients remotely

1 hour ago, Andrew Pollock said:

If you and your clients are regular Apple Messages users, the screen sharing function under the "buddies" menu is also excellent.

I've been using this setup for non-VW assistance for family members.  It allows you to control the remote Mac if given authorization.  System settings need to be set up correctly first or it won't work and you won't even get an error message explaining why.  Here's some guidance.

https://support.apple.com/guide/messages/screen-sharing-icht11883/mac

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/turn-screen-sharing-on-or-off-mh11848/mac

• Like 1

Another zoom user here - NZ-based, very happy with it, often do presentations to China and Oz. Only thing with zoom is they keep changing their interface.

I have tried more than ten systems; Mikago was quite good but is .de based and didn't have server installs here - that is AFAIK the main reason for lagginess with many of these systems. Join-me is very reliable and easy but twice the cost of Zoom-pro.

I have also used screenleap but had same issues as Mikago

Join-me also do something called Log-me-in for IT-help tasks.

and finally there's Jitsi https://desktop.jitsi.org/ - a friend with a distributed IT\AI company swears by it for reliability but seems to be for more technically savvy users.

Nearly all of my collaborations since 2016 have been digital in nature.  I've used Google Hangouts,  GoToMeeting,  Skype and Teamviewer.       I've used Teamviewer the most and like it because remote clients can click on the presentation screen and their cursor shows up on my screen which is great when they are pointing something out/referencing an object because I can quickly see exactly what they are talking about.    

There are also a ton of iMessages screenshots back and forth early in the process.    (Most of my co-collaborators are Mac folks)

• Like 1
Just now, Wesley Burrows said:

Nearly all of my collaborations since 2016 have been digital in nature.  I've used Google Hangouts,  GoToMeeting,  Skype and Teamviewer.       I've used Teamviewer the most and like it because remote clients can click on the presentation screen and their cursor shows up on my screen which is great when they are pointing something out/referencing an object because I can quickly see exactly what they are talking about.    

There are also a ton of iMessages screenshots back and forth early in the process.    (Most of my co-collaborators are Mac folks)

Thanks Wesley, I use Team Viewer but didn't know that it can be used for screen sharing. How do you set it up?

4 minutes ago, Cadplan Architecture said:

Thanks Wesley, I use Team Viewer but didn't know that it can be used for screen sharing. How do you set it up?

I use Teamviewer 12 (cause I have an old perpetual license for it) But you just launch it and choose meeting

image.thumb.png.35b5b65bf3a6967de9fe6650d71086ad.png

Choose Presentation

image.thumb.png.280399ec2a13d9f4cea49c29dbbe2c66.png

You'll get this dialog and then you can just invite people with the green person + icon.   (You can also schedule a meeting for later or one to repeat using a meeting ID for a specific project with recurring meetings)

Hope this helps

Edited by Wesley Burrows
3 hours ago, Wesley Burrows said:

I use Teamviewer 12 (cause I have an old perpetual license for it) But you just launch it and choose meeting

image.thumb.png.35b5b65bf3a6967de9fe6650d71086ad.png

Choose Presentation

image.thumb.png.280399ec2a13d9f4cea49c29dbbe2c66.png

You'll get this dialog and then you can just invite people with the green person + icon.   (You can also schedule a meeting for later or one to repeat using a meeting ID for a specific project with recurring meetings)

Hope this helps

So cool. Does the client have to download Team Viewer?

Thanks for all the input folks, I am now set up with both Zoom and Team Viewer, they are both about the same in the way they work, Zoom is perhaps a bit more 'Mac' looking. This is just great as there is no need now for clients to come into the office to have a physical design meeting and at this time of course it's major.

I discovered another trick; you can record yourself working on a Vectorworks project in full screen mode using Quick Time Player and with the microphone activated and make a short movie while you are having your online meeting and then send a copy via a transfer website. It's good as it means that clients will then have a copy to show others in their family who may not have been able to be there and everyone can get involve. 

This is the Apple support link to using QT- https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201066

My only regret is that I didn't do this years ago, it's going to be so cool!

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Again having real trouble getting a vgx file to be of any use.   See attached link:

https://cloud.vectorworks.net/links/11ebc9c8c0ef895a85ba12bd733fbe07/

This is a 55 unit housing development from which I can generate all the static views I need, but with nomad / vgx I am unable to share with my client, as it basically doesn't work.  I remember discussions with the VW staff at the Open Day in April and was told that changes are coming - afraid to say, not soon enough. Models simply do not load.

1716765969_Screenshot2021-06-10at10_01_01.thumb.png.55926439e45c3492297c75a2254fa583.png31463405_Screenshot2021-06-10at10_00_11.thumb.png.d6ab9f970911cb1b0363cad860bd7538.png