Can't Override Wall Component Hatch in Viewport

willofmaine

Question

When creating the wall components of wall styles, and when setting the component's Fill Style to use the Class Style, I really wish that the component's color would automatically also default to "Class Style" when the class it's being assigned to has anything but a solid fill assigned to it (such as a hatch).  Otherwise, trying to override the component's fill in a viewport - say to replace a hatch with a solid color - only results in the solid fill being applied, but not the desired color, because the component's color is still its default white color (i.e., while the hatch can be made to go away, the color white can't be changed).

The hard-learned workaround is to remember to change the component's Fill Color to "Color by Class" before setting it's Fill Color to "Class Style."  The challenge going forward will be remembering this workaround... ... ...  Please make Vectorworks more intuitive!!!  VWIS131

• Like 2

2 answers to this question

I have just experienced this - or something like it - in VW2021. All of a sudden I lost the ability to apply a different fill colour to my walls in the VP class overrides. Strangely, I could apply a hatch but not change the fill colour from that set by the wall class. The only way I could get the VP fill colour to apply was to edit each wall style one by one, clicking on 'Make All Attributes By Class' - even though it was already set to this so clicking on the button wasn't changing anything - then exiting again. So I wasn't changing any settings, I just had to kind of reaffirm them... And like I say it was working fine initially. So perhaps not quite the same issue after all but at least your post @willofmaine pointed me to a solution...