Object Duplication?

Please disregard the previous topic with the same name, in fact, could someone please delete it?

This is the real question.

As I am sort of new to ConCad, this may be a normal thing and I'm just paranoid.

I am finding that almost all of the objects on my schematic layer are being duplicated in place at least twice, needlessly bloating my drawing.  When I look at the device report it only shows a single device, but on the actual drawing, there can be as many as 4 copies of the same device on top of each other.  Is this a thing?  Does it have a relationship to Layer options?

Going back to previous saves, it seems like when I created another layer, it just copied a bunch of stuff and dropped it on top of itself.

I'm really confused.  

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello James

I've been looking into the numbering issue that you showed me. In fact it all works as designed but that doesn't mean it's easy to use. Even I had difficulty figuring it out. So, I have put a ToDo item for myself to review the way we define numbering rules and figure out a way to make them easier to understand.

To come back to your requirement. To extra the Source Device Name into the Suffix you should leave the match field empty. That way the entire text ends up in the suffix. Then to insert that suffix in the cable number use %1,  or %2 for the second suffix. These are in the format help dropdown. Here's a picture of what I mean.

This rule creates a cable number <source device name><source socket name>.

The rest works as designed though I do see that I can't add a constant number to the #1 and #2 tags. I'll fix that, but it really isn't a showstopper.

Finally, I'd also recommend looking the Spotlight Numbering command. This has a lot of powerful options and cane be used with ConnectCAD objects. The approach is very different and complementary to what we do. So you may find stuff in there that helps you out also.

Regarding the duplicated objects, I'm still looking into that. I'll post replies here so others can also benefit.

Conrad

Screenshot 2020-03-25 at 08.10.07.png