Orbit animation (useless)

Kazemester

Question

Now with the new VW2020 version I try to make an orbit animation (which was so easy to do in the earlier versions---i don't know why you devs always have to change stuff that work), but whatever I try it just does not work. I try to make an Ortogonal projection fly around my pointcloud, but it always shows a "flat" orbit around with the cameras pointing straight.

If i untick that box than i can set the keyframes 1 by 1 by selecting the cameras and pitch them (which does NOT work in 3D of course....in 3D it only rotates on the xy plane....) on frontal views. And the result is...

Am i stupidly doing something wrong or it should work but it is bugged? (It is SP3 now...)

Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

Apart from Shadow analysisI never use VW for animations either:

I find it easier to livesync to Lumion & produce a fully rendered animation there.

Perhaps a good improvement would be if, as @Kazemestersuggests, we use the 3dConnextion or VW naviagation tools to describe the flight path that Renderworks can then use to render the animation.

1 hour ago, bcd said:

we use the 3dConnextion or VW naviagation tools to describe the flight path that Renderworks can then use to render the animation.

That would mean that VW is automatically creating enough Camera Position Keyframes in between.

If it does not work now as it is, with user given Keyframes ......

1 hour ago, zoomer said:

That would mean that VW is automatically creating enough Camera Position Keyframes in between.

If it does not work now as it is, with user given Keyframes ......

Exactly - describing the path is not really the problem - it's what VW then does with it.

7 hours ago, Kazemester said:

I bought a 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse Compact and i use it to move the camera smoothly around. Simply i just create a shaded render and i record the video with quicktime - screen recording. 😄

This is actually what I do as well. But it doesn't work for renderworks-quality animations, and doesn't create something you can then edit and refine.

10 hours ago, line-weight said:

This is actually what I do as well. But it doesn't work for renderworks-quality animations, and doesn't create something you can then edit and refine.

Yeah...sadly it's just a "workaround"...it has its downsides. I wish new VW releases would take more than a year development like back in the "old days". 

Or just continue the development of something through more than one release cycle, instead of abandoning it half finished.

It's very frustrating because it looks like there's probably not such a huge amount of extra work necessary to make the animation tool more useful. As per so many VW things, 90% complete = 0% usable.

It's not just a waste of time for users who put in a few hours trying to get it to work only to find that it doesn't - it's a waste of all the effort of whoever programmed it so far.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, line-weight said:

Or just continue the development of something through more than one release cycle, instead of abandoning it half finished.

It's very frustrating because it looks like there's probably not such a huge amount of extra work necessary to make the animation tool more useful. As per so many VW things, 90% complete = 0% usable.

It's not just a waste of time for users who put in a few hours trying to get it to work only to find that it doesn't - it's a waste of all the effort of whoever programmed it so far.

This would be a relevant comment on a surprising number of threads on this forum. Just replace the word “animation”.

• Like 2