Line Types of Symbols from Existing to Demo

I draw my existing conditions  and use 2d symbols for things like sinks, vanities, etc...  The symbol is originally created on the 'None" class.   I set the symbol line type to "by class" but when I move it to the demo class the line type doesn't change.  In order to get the line type to change I have to enter the symbol and change the line type of each of the objects contained within the symbol to "by class" and put all of those objects within the symbol on the demolition class.  That will work although, it then changes all of my existing symbols (which are not to be on the demolition plan).  How do you accomplish this without having to create a new demolition symbol for each symbol? 

Thanks,

Derek

I'm not sure that will work.  I think the problem is that if I change one symbol I change all of them.  The class the symbol is on won't pass through to the objects within the symbol.  I'll keep playing around see if I can figure something out.

Thanks James!

Derek

• 2 years later...

Data visualization is the easy answer.

method 1 - put demo stuff on a demo class.

Or

method 2 - Add a record to items to indicate:  Demo, new, or existing to remain. (Or phases even).

Set up your data visualization to control the graphics as desired based on the method you choose.  This allows you to have symbols built with classes based on materials or systems rather than status or phase, which makes a lot more sense in terms of how the symbol is built, especially complex symbols like a sink where you might want to have water supply and waste water connection points for piping, structural requirements for fastening, or depictions of code requirements like ADA clearances.

• Like 2

I've been trying the "demo stuff in a demo class" approach but the objects I'm trying to do this to are Symbol/Plug-in Objects that come with VW.  They are auto-classed and resist my efforts to assign them to "demo" class, they just re-assign themselves to their original class.

This includes following the VW Help instructions to duplicate the original symbol, rename the duplicate and edit the duplicate.  I've also edited the class name worksheet to add the desired "demo" classes to it.   No luck so far.

25 minutes ago, CiaMariaPia said:

I've been trying the "demo stuff in a demo class" approach but the objects I'm trying to do this to are Symbol/Plug-in Objects that come with VW.  They are auto-classed and resist my efforts to assign them to "demo" class, they just re-assign themselves to their original class.

This includes following the VW Help instructions to duplicate the original symbol, rename the duplicate and edit the duplicate.  I've also edited the class name worksheet to add the desired "demo" classes to it.   No luck so far.

You might need to turn Auto-classing off (File>Document Settings>Standard Naming…> uncheck 'Enable Auto-classing').

All your symbols/styles can be set up to go into your preferred classes on creation, either in the style settings, the Symbol Options (right-click on the symbol in the Resource Manager) or in the Plug-in Object Style Options (right-click on the style in the Resource Manager).

Thank you Tom!

I've turned off "auto-classing" and can see that's having the desired affect - at least on my test symbols.  I've got a bunch of (failed) samples with small variations that I've been using to work thru this question.  I'll go back through them and reset them to the new settings to make sure I've got right idea.

Have a great day!

• Like 1