Jump to content
  • 0
drelARCH

Staircase 2D graphics issues in Horizontal Section Viewport - VW 2020

Question

Posted (edited)

Hi again,

 

Another issue: I have difficulty to correctly show 2D graphic of stairs in horizontal section viewports. 

While my experience is that when stairs is cut by cut plane of viewport 2D stairs graphic is shown fine but when NOT (same layer but below cut plane OR stair coming from lower floor plan/design layer) it miss all walk line, start/end marker or only some combination is shown.

 

Can please somebody direct me how to set it up correctly to get correct result. I hope that it is working by now and I don't have to draw this in annotation layer...

Any of your help is much appreciated!

@Matt PanzerI remember you were mentioning once that markers are known issue...Has this been since then look after? What is current state?

 

Snímka obrazovky 2020-03-19 o 20.49.09.png

Snímka obrazovky 2020-03-19 o 21.06.24.png

Edited by drelARCH

Share this post


Link to post

13 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
1 hour ago, drelARCH said:

Hi again,

 

Another issue: I have difficulty to correctly show 2D graphic of stairs in horizontal section viewports. 

While my experience is that when stairs is cut by cut plane of viewport 2D stairs graphic is shown fine but when NOT (same layer but below cut plane OR stair coming from lower floor plan/design layer) it miss all walk line, start/end marker or only some combination is shown.

 

Can please somebody direct me how to set it up correctly to get correct result. I hope that it is working by now and I don't have to draw this in annotation layer...

Any of your help is much appreciated!

@Matt PanzerI remember you were mentioning once that markers are known issue...Has this been since then look after? What is current state?

 

Snímka obrazovky 2020-03-19 o 20.49.09.png

Snímka obrazovky 2020-03-19 o 21.06.24.png

 

Would you mind sending me the file privately?  Top/Plan views and Horizontal Sections deal with things in a very different way.  Unfortunately, Stairs have created a more unique challenge than most other objects. If I can see how your file is set up, I might have a solution for you.


BTW: We are actively looking ways to better handle these stair issues in the future.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

@drelARCH

As I mentioned in the other thread:  There are a combination of issues that are making this difficult to work around.  Even if there was a way, it'd be more trouble than fixing things in the annotations.  We are looking at these issues and looking at better ways to solve them.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Thanks Matt,

I've just found easiest 'workaround' for this: using Top/plan view viewport. 🙂

I was so focused and pushing into horizontal section viewports that I somehow forgot and neglected Top/plan viewport option. In my current project need it works everything fine for me both stairs 2D graphics/space labels and even dont have to update viewport everytime.

 

However, looking forward using HSVP as it gets improved, it definitely offer solution to have more control of like below and above cut plane stuff...and other

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
3 hours ago, drelARCH said:

Thanks Matt,

I've just found easiest 'workaround' for this: using Top/plan view viewport. 🙂

I was so focused and pushing into horizontal section viewports that I somehow forgot and neglected Top/plan viewport option. In my current project need it works everything fine for me both stairs 2D graphics/space labels and even dont have to update viewport everytime.

 

Oh yes.  Certainly the most obvious (and faster) workaround.  🙂

I assumed this case required a horizontal section to show properly.

 

3 hours ago, drelARCH said:

However, looking forward using HSVP as it gets improved, it definitely offer solution to have more control of like below and above cut plane stuff...and other

 

Absolutely.  We're continually working to improve horizontal sections.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Not the same issue, but fits under the same thread title... I am trying to embrace a (nearly) all 3D workflow, and m generally enjoying horizontal section viewports as I seem to get closer to the drawing style I like. But staircases are showing a rectangular line/ block top/ bottom - as if there is a bit of stair structure that has not embedded properly win the slabs. See screenshot attached... any ideas? I am currently littering my sheet layers with little white blocks covering these and various other niggles, but it would be nice to know if its just something obvious that I've missed? 

Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 15.59.04.png

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
21 hours ago, mike-h said:

Not the same issue, but fits under the same thread title... I am trying to embrace a (nearly) all 3D workflow, and m generally enjoying horizontal section viewports as I seem to get closer to the drawing style I like. But staircases are showing a rectangular line/ block top/ bottom - as if there is a bit of stair structure that has not embedded properly win the slabs. See screenshot attached... any ideas? I am currently littering my sheet layers with little white blocks covering these and various other niggles, but it would be nice to know if its just something obvious that I've missed? 

Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 15.59.04.png

 

Could you attach (or send me) a file that shows this issue?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

@mike-h,

 

Thank you for sending the file.  I found the source of the problem and submitted a bug report on it (VB-174448).  These rectangles are caused by the markers used in the "walk path" and appear to only show when the stair is completely below the cut plane.  Turning off the walk like in the stair will get rid of the rectangles.  I realize this is not ideal since you'll have to then create the walk lines but that is all I can think of for now (until the big is fixed).

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 9/28/2020 at 4:39 PM, mike-h said:

@Matt Panzer Thanks for taking a look - thats a reasonable workaround for now and better than my white masks!

 

Hi @mike-h,

 

The engineer currently looking at this issue noticed the issue only occurs when using the Best Performance Navigation Graphics and the Line Style for the viewport (in Advanced Settings) is set to Use Class instead of Use Original.

So...  You might get what you need simply by setting the Line Style for the viewport to Use Original.

 

BTW:  I believe those rectangles won't print or publish to PDF, etc...

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Thanks @Matt Panzer for investigating into this issues. This one with staircase 2D graphic is really annoying...same applies to space tag display when using class for line in Objects beyond cut plane advanced viewport settings. I feel that start and end markers behaves randomly. Never got control on settings how to achieve expected result.

Is new 'Top Graphic' feature somehow helping staircase in horizontal sections? I haven't time yet to explore this enhancement.

Just to be sure we need to have correct 2D graphic for staircase not only for floor plan directly above one with staircase but also spanning across all floors. I mean for example looking down (horizontal section) from above 4 storey building and correctly seeing exterior staircase that sits on ground floor level.

Hopefully these issues can be sorted soon.

 

Anyway I am really enjoying working with latest release I feel that there went some solid work into it. Will write small review later on.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
4 hours ago, drelARCH said:

Thanks @Matt Panzer for investigating into this issues. This one with staircase 2D graphic is really annoying...same applies to space tag display when using class for line in Objects beyond cut plane advanced viewport settings.

 

You're welcome for the help!

 

4 hours ago, drelARCH said:

I feel that start and end markers behaves randomly. Never got control on settings how to achieve expected result.

 

Are you talking about an unrelated issue?

 

4 hours ago, drelARCH said:

Is new 'Top Graphic' feature somehow helping staircase in horizontal sections? I haven't time yet to explore this enhancement.

Just to be sure we need to have correct 2D graphic for staircase not only for floor plan directly above one with staircase but also spanning across all floors. I mean for example looking down (horizontal section) from above 4 storey building and correctly seeing exterior staircase that sits on ground floor level.

Hopefully these issues can be sorted soon.

 

This is essentially what we've done.  The stair now places the same "upper floor" plan graphics in the main (lower floor) stair object's Top 2D component.  This means you can choose not to display the upper floor graphic (proxy object) if only using horizontal sections.  Also, the Top 2D component's location (Z height) will default to a location that is always above the upper floor of the stair.  This insures the Top component always displays above the upper floor slab.  Of course, if you want the location to be below the slab, you can edit the Top 2D component location and move it down to where you want.  The main lingering issue (related to 2D components) is the one of showing the upper part of the stair (eg: railing extensions) above the upper slab and the lower part of the stair below the upper slab.  We are looking at better ways to handle this in the future.

 

4 hours ago, drelARCH said:

Anyway I am really enjoying working with latest release I feel that there went some solid work into it. Will write small review later on.

 

I'm glad you feel that way and I look forward to your review!

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, Joao Fontes said:

Hello, I´m bit confused. 

@Matt Panzer, what VW version you refer when you say "This is essentially what we've done.  The stair now places the same..." ?

 

I was assuming @drelARCH was talking about the new 'Top Graphic' feature for the stair in VW 2021.  That is the feature I'm describing.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


 

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

 

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.

×
×
  • Create New...