ETC Irideon FPZ - No Output, No DMX / Dimmer Channel

Question

3 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Let's start with the basics.

You can not control fixtures using DMX using Vectorworks.

You can focus fixtures and render the light by using Focus Points in Vectorworks.

Select the fixture, right click and select Focus Instruments...

Once the instrument is focused, select the fixture and right click and select Turn On.

When you render you should now see the light at the focus point.

(There are more efficient ways to do all this, but these are the basics.)

If you want DMX control over the fixture using sACN or ArtNet you will need to use Vision.

Weather you are using Vision or Vectorworks all the address assignments can be done in Vectorworks.

Use the Universe and Address fields in Vectorworks to make the assignments.

The next important thing to do in Vectorworks is to set the Fixture Mode and/or the GDTF Mode of the lighting device.

If you are just starting out I recommend using the fixture mode. For most fixtures it will default to something reasonable if you are using symbols provided by Vectorworks.

When you import or send to Vision, Vision will pickup the universe and address. (In Vision they will be called Universe and Channel but that's a story for another time...)

From there you should be able to control the fixture via the console.

One thing to note, with Vision 2020 sp3, if a fixture imported is as a GDTF fixture the editing of the Universe and Channel will be disabled in Vision but you still can see the assignments.

If you are just getting started you may want to take a look at some the resources at Vectorworks University and the Vision Forum.

Yes, 

That's exactly correct. I am using vision for testing purposes. However, the problem lies with the modes and fields. I am very familiar with Instruments like vipers, quantum profiles, and color force fixtures. The fixture i am using for this particular install is a track light fixture made by ETC. It would be great to assign a standard dimmer channel control to this fixture. It essentially acts as a leko or leko Jr. 
I think I should have worded my question better.

I am working with the following instrument in Spotlight: ETC Irideon FPZ - Mid Zoom 

TL:DR is there a way to assign an instrument properties from another instrument?  Liko (dimmer) > current fixture.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Without a fixture mode the fixture will not do anything in Vision.

The fixture mode also controls the geometry of the fixture in Vision.

My best recommendation is to use a fixture that is in the library and has a similar beam angle. You can adjust the brightness in Vision manually if needed.

In the fixture mode pop-up select Other... and you can assign any fixture mode to the lighting device that you would like.

You can also request that the fixture be created for Vision with the Fixture Request form on this page. https://www.vectorworks.net/en-US/vision