Need advice to use Heliodon

Hi

I read Vectorworks's guide

https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2020/eng/VW2020_Guide/SolarStudies/Inserting_a_heliodon_object.htm

I have misunderstand in this part:

"The heliodon graphic displays true North at the top of the heliodon. Normally, the drawing is oriented to page North (true North, not magnetic North), and true North matches the top of the page, with no compensation required for proper sun position. If the drawing was not created with this orientation, use the Object Info palette to specify a Rotation in degrees from page North. North set here should match true North in the drawing."

What "true North" in this case?

If I use magnetic in real world, What they call for this kind of North?

Most places have a "Magnetic Declination" which is a deviation between the direction of the North Pole and the direction a magnetic compass shows. Here in Los Angeles that difference is about 13 degrees East.

Depending on how exacting you need your lighting to be and where you are located (If you are close to the Mississippi River in the USA the difference is very small or zero) using magnetic north for true north may not be a problem.

2 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Most places have a "Magnetic Declination" which is a deviation between the direction of the North Pole and the direction a magnetic compass shows. Here in Los Angeles that difference is about 13 degrees East.

Depending on how exacting you need your lighting to be and where you are located (If you are close to the Mississippi River in the USA the difference is very small or zero) using magnetic north for true north may not be a problem.

Thank Pat Stanford

I found out this helpful video: