Different line styles in viewport

I'm drawing a kitchen and I used dotted lines for the upper cabinets as way to help visualize the space. The only problem is that now my interior elevation viewports all show the upper cabinets with dotted lines too. I suppose I could duplicate my design layer, use solid lines, and then create the interior elevation viewports from that design layer. But that seems rather convoluted. Any ideas or different workarounds?

If you are using viewports on a sheet layer then you can use Class Overrides in the Viewport. All your geometry will need to be associated with particular classes and their graphical attributes. That way, you just need to change the attributes for the class and the Class geometry will update accordingly.

If this is new to you then you should investigate the use of classes in the Help section as well as Class overrides for Sheet Layer Viewports.

Class overrides only work for object which have their attributes (all attributes, or only selected ones) set to be By Class (that funny curvy arrow icon thing in the attributes palette). Anything that you have set to a manual setting will not be effected by the Class Overrides.

It might take a change in your workflow to get used to using Class Attributes, but in the long run it will give you a lot more flexibility in presenting your data in viewports.