connector panel tips and tricks?

spljohn

how do you guys typically build your connector panels?  

A few things im running into right now is 

1 - I need the labels on top of the connectors and I cant find a way to do that currently.

2 - is there a way to set the defualt spacing to be larger?  currently when i hit the add connectors button they are spaced to close together for what my boss wants and instead of having to go in and use the align and distribute tool it would be nice to be able to change the default spacing.  also currently the last connector on a line shows up off the page of the panel.  It would be great if there was a way when you hit the add connectors button it brings up a page where you select a border size and spacing for example set a 2" borderand 1/2" spacing so that any connectors added would be placed within the parameters.  if there is a way to do this currently let me know how you accomplish it id love to know.  

3 - lastly is there a way to add connectors later on without screwing up the changes you've made to existing connecotrs?  right now lets say ive finished a panel but then the client decides they need one more xlr input and i add that connector everything gets reset and all my position changes and connector types if i changed them have to be redone.  Is there a way to add more connectors to existing panels without changing the old connectors already there?

just remembered a few other minor things and attached a screenshot to show what i mean.

is there a way to not have the CTP_ show up on the drawing?  much like name vs tag with devices can i have a panel connector on the drawing say Studio 1 instead of CTP_Studio 1 

and lastly ever since updating to service pack 2.2 anything i create has that arrow in the top left corner as if its using a line with an arrow to create the box instead of just a regular line but in the attributes everything is set the same as older devices and they dont have the arrow so im not sure what thats about.  

Thanks for any insights you guys have.  

Annotation 2020-03-16 114418.png

Edited by spljohn
  • Like 1

another example being the PNL-1425 panel that is in the resource manager that would be great to have a panel like that where it has location points that we could drag and drop the connectors on as needed.  is there a way to make the equipment item ctp panels be created with location points like the pnl-1425? 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @spljohn,

14 hours ago, spljohn said:

1 - I need the labels on top of the connectors and I cant find a way to do that currently.

- Simply edit the symbols in the RM that are used for your panels and move the name text where you want it. 🙂

15 hours ago, spljohn said:

2 - is there a way to set the defualt spacing to be larger?

- Currently, It is not possible to change the default spacing.

15 hours ago, spljohn said:

3 - lastly is there a way to add connectors later on without screwing up the changes you've made to existing connecotrs?

- Well, you could manually insert the desired connector symbol in the Equip Item profile group. However, you will get some weird behavior from that symbol, so I suppose currently there is no good way of achieving this.

13 hours ago, spljohn said:

is there a way to make the equipment item ctp panels be created with location points like the pnl-1425? 

- I suppose you can again edit the symbols in the RM and make them look the way you want.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov