Working from home during the Covid-19 Lockdown

Hi

I have a Vectorworks License for use at my office (London Based practice) but I want to be able to work from home during the Covid-19 lock down here in the UK. 

Can I use the same work license on my home laptop?

I am mac-based  (further info below).

Vectorworks Fundamentals 2013 SP1(Build 170593)

Work Desktop: IMac - OS High Sierra V.10.13.3

Home Laptop: Macbook Pro - Mac OS Yosemite V.10.10.13

Any advice on how to best achieve this would be very much appreciated.

- Tim

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Timothy
Yes, we're all preparing for some time at home I think! 

Please see this article for information on operating system compatibility.

(I note from this that 2013 is not actually compatible with your work desktop - but will be with your Home Laptop).

Also, you should probably install the latest service pack for 2013 too.

If your licence number starts with an E, you will be able to just install it on your home computer.

Can I suggest you give the UK office a call in the morning - 01635 580318 - and then we can help you with the serial number and download link.

Hi Tamsin

Thanks for the quick response. 

Thats strange - I've been using it without any trouble at all at work now since we invested in the new machine.

Perhaps there is some error in the information I provided - will doubel check before I call tomorrow morning.

WIll I need to install the latest service pack at work or at home? or is this recommended at work for some other reason?  I've tried searching for a download link for the software so I can download remotely onto my laptop and (hopefully) simply fill in the lincense info and serial number - no luck.  but I'm not sure if this is how it works?

My serial number begins with a G

I've added some screenshots from my IMac versions if this helps solve the mystery of why my version has been working at work without any trouble.

Will post a seperate shot of my home Laptop OS (I'm writing this from on this CPU).

Thanks for the help so far...

Edited by Timothy Welch

The other factor that my be tricky is I have a version of Vectorworks 2014 (a previous license from a previous employer) which has now expired.

(Screenshot below)

Not sure if this will make things tricker or If I should uninstall or something?

Edited by Timothy Welch

Morning Tim.
Thanks for the extra information. I don't know why it's worked fine on the office computer - but it's great that it has!

My recommendation regarding service packs was just that it would have a series of bug-fixes included. Each year, we release a number of service packs throughout the life of a release. The latest will include the latest fixes. But it's not essential.

Can you send me a PM with the best number to call you on and I'll give you a call now.

In case others are following this thread:

If you have an E-series licence (internet activated), you can install the licence on a laptop and work at home. 

If you have a G-series licence, (Site protection Server managed), you can check out the licence for 30 days. Details can be found in this article in Vectorworks Help:

http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2019/eng/index.htm#t=VW2019_Guide%2FSiteProtection%2FBorrowing_and_Returning_a_Vectorworks_License.htm%23XREF_20212_Borrowing_and&rhsearch=check out license&rhsyns=

Also worth setting up a VPN connection to the office to acquire a license from the Site Protection Server (just make sure the office IP range does not conflict with the one at home).

If you are intending to use cloud serving we have had better results using Box, than Dropbox.

Either way, set References to relative path and restrict the editing of referenced resources.  Keep an eye out for .lck files too, as these indicate that someone else may have the file open.

Project Sharing is also supported on Dropbox and Box.

• Like 2