Color matching in Vectorworks

FrancescoTadini

Question

Hi

i'm having some trouble matching colors in Vectorworks. Attached you can find an image that explains my problem. 

I imported a reference image made on https://colourco.de/ and imported the JPG image in VW. Than I gave at each circle the right color code reported on the reference. Despite the matching code, the color don't match. If I do the same thing in a software like Affinity Designer it works perfectly.

Do anyone knows why?

Thanks

Francesco

Schermata 2020-03-11 alle 23.07.32.png

8 answers to this question

I have struggled with color in Vectorworks for years. It's not unusual that I want to export an image and drop that into a presentation with similar colors. It is simply not possible. We have a standard set of colors that we use for graphics and presentations in the office. Over the years we have used the Adobe suite, Affinity suite, Pixelmator, Sketch, OmniGraffle, Keynote, and other software. Vectorworks is only tool that we cannot get to match.

It's a missed opportunity. Vectorworks markets itself as end-to-end software. From design concept to construction drawings. For the most part that is true. I am really struggling with a full BIM workflow, but that is another matter. All of the other design software I use has a color management component. I'm sure that is a significant undertaking. I get it. On the other hand, I can surf over to color-hex.com with Safari, pick a random hex color, export it as a PDF, import the PDF into Photoshop, and measure the exact same hex color. If Safari can render and export accurate color, why can't Vectorworks? It's not like Vectorworks colors are slightly off. They are way off.

Edited by ThreeDot
21 hours ago, FrancescoTadini said:

Hi

i'm having some trouble matching colors in Vectorworks. Attached you can find an image that explains my problem. 

I imported a reference image made on https://colourco.de/ and imported the JPG image in VW. Than I gave at each circle the right color code reported on the reference. Despite the matching code, the color don't match. If I do the same thing in a software like Affinity Designer it works perfectly.

Do anyone knows why?

Thanks

Francesco

Schermata 2020-03-11 alle 23.07.32.png

In THIS OLDER THREAD from 2016, it was stated that Vw internally converts all colors to RGB, irrespective of whatever color space they were input as. I’m guessing that this might be part of the reason you’re seeing the color shifts.

HERE is a link to a post with some links to related older threads about color shifts for reference.

HTH.

Edited by rDesign

Did something move on this matter?
I'm struggling with the colors too. When we moved from a CAD/photoshop workflow to Vectorworks, the idea was to produce good good-looking 2D plan straight from VW, but when I try to get different subtilities in the colors it feels like there isn't the full range of color available on the plan. Even in the proposed libraries, if I choose a darker green, it makes it fully black... 

Really annoying.