Design Summit?

24 minutes ago, Don Seidel said:

Sorry people...not buying it. Where are the mass deaths in US from Corona? NOT there because it's the flu, and only the flu. If this were Ebola, of course cautions. But really? Everyone panics but no one can say why. Sad

That's pretty awesome you're a Doctor AND an Architect!   Kudos!  

Edited by Wesley Burrows
  • Like 1

Seeing how quick things go and the flu/virus spreads i completely understand this decision.

As someone living in Europe / The Netherlands I can only say that you can not be to carefull about this. It is going pretty fast from something we made jokes about to empty fridges in the supermarket, the closing of museums, sport events and just all kind of gatherings .  In the Netherlands everyone who can work from home is expected to do this for the coming weeks. And that is probably not the last measure the government is going take to try to slow this thing as much as possible so the hospital's aren't going to 'overload'.

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello Everyone,

As stated above, with much regret we are planning to move forward with cancellation of the 2020 Vectorworks Design Summit. We are working on a formal announcement which will be sent to all registered attendees and posted to the event website shortly. Details regarding the cancellation including refunds will also be stated on the website. We thank you for your patience and understanding.

https://www.vectorworks.net/design-summit/faq#coronavirus

Kind Regards,

Tara Grant

Director of Channel Operations

• Like 3

Dear brothers and sisters, you are licensed to use COMMON SENSE. IF there were a death rate above 2% (in the US) THAT would be all over the news. 2-4% is completely average for the Flu. It's the elderly and people with other health problems who are at risk, as with ...the flu (SEE CDC Website yourself).

The news is in fact , news about the panic. Again: another variety of the flu. Be well !

Edited by Don Seidel
  • Inappropriate 5

BAHAHAHA

It's a virus. It's different from others but still a variant of SARS and SWINE Flu. Get YOUR facts straight: high numbers of deaths do not equal high MORTALITY.

CDC :1629 cased REPORTED (tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands have been exposed in US), 41 DEATHS

Sorry for those it killed but it's not the Ebola virus.

Higher death rates (still not dramatic) in other countries because of 3rd world medical treatment and conditions. 

SO...if it's no worse than other flu's, are we going to panic again Every flu season...every cold virus that comes along? Oh my..do you know how many in the US died from last year's flu? Why are we not panicked about that?

flu.pdf 

Edited by Don Seidel
  • Inappropriate 2

my understanding is that the main goal now is to 'control' what is inevitably going to happen, and that's lots of people will get this virus, resources will be stretched, and restricting the movement of people will help ease the strain on the resources needed to help/save those who become really poorly 

• Like 2
On 3/13/2020 at 12:31 PM, Don Seidel said:

BAHAHAHA

It's a virus. It's different from others but still a variant of SARS and SWINE Flu. Get YOUR facts straight: high numbers of deaths do not equal high MORTALITY.

CDC :1629 cased REPORTED (tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands have been exposed in US), 41 DEATHS

Sorry for those it killed but it's not the Ebola virus.

Higher death rates (still not dramatic) in other countries because of 3rd world medical treatment and conditions. 

SO...if it's no worse than other flu's, are we going to panic again Every flu season...every cold virus that comes along? Oh my..do you know how many in the US died from last year's flu? Why are we not panicked about that?

flu.pdf 311.57 kB · 0 downloads  

Not panicking here, but as an over-60, with preexisting cardio-pulmonary issues, I'd rather be safer @Don Seidel. Read up on what the NOVEL coronavirus could do to my cardio pulmonary system. Ever been intubated Don? I have. It's really not fun, esp after you wake up with that thing down your throat and you realize it's not coming out till someone who is not you says it is. And then to think that I could be triaged out of life, simply because I'm older with a weaker system - what would my two young children make of your stance? It's just not an encouraging situation. & I for one don't find your posture helpful in any way.

It's not HIGH mortality Don, it's MY mortality.

Step away.

Edited by mjm
speling
  • Like 2

Which blue box are you? I'm in the center box, and I am willing to bet there's any number of others on this forum of similar age. 

image.thumb.png.0dcdd032d2dc4f6999ff15ce1033113b.png

And, let's say I and 4.6% of our friends here do get the virus and are actually lucky enough to get into a health care facility:

"...The high mortality rate is made even more concerning by America’s low surge capacity — a hospital or medical system’s ability to triage and care for a major increase in patients in a short amount of time. As pediatrician Aaron E. Carroll notes in the New York Times: “It’s estimated that we have about 45,000 intensive care unit beds in the United States. In a moderate (emphasis mine) outbreak, about 200,000 Americans would need one.” New York’s David Wallace-Wells adds that with an outbreak of upper respiratory infections, “It’s not the number of beds, though. It’s the number of ventilators.”"

Who gets to choose who gets the ventilator - remember - not necessarily the sickest. Would we get to draw straws amongst ourselves? Nope, some other highly qualified will have to determine whose blood stains their hands and then be strong enough to live with that and all the other decisions like that they 'll be making if we ALL don't do the smart thing.

I could go on. But I'd rather be drafting a show, wouldn't you…

Be safe.

Edited by mjm
spellong

Apparently I am going on.

First, I'd like to take this moment to congratulate the Age 60-69 group-non-diers of Covid-19 (currently app 95.6%), a big round of applause everyone, they deserve it, don't you think?

Now, let's take ME and MY theoretical eventual painful death from Covid-19, shall we, because in the end it is all about me, right? Or is it?

• I get sick, tested, it's our novel friend Covid, am admitted to hospital, but worsen
  • increased resources are pushed to me (other folks with other 'normal illnesses, injuries shunted aside)
  • just gonna remind us about that intubation fun here people
  • My condition worsens and my brain can't command my body any more so I'm put on dialysis and other drastic lifesaving resources are rushed to my side
  • I achieve the top of the pyramid and am granted access to an ECMO (264 is the TOTAL number  of these machines in the US of A)
  • I die anyway (who else gets sicker and perhaps dies while I suck up precious recourses)?
    • how much did my little flu cost
    • City, state, country, family
      • (sorry kids that I could not continue to provide, it'll just have to rest entirely on the shoulders of your mom, I'm sure she'll be good with that. Good luck with higher ed
      • What's that kids? Oh - you miss me? Me too, but I'm dead)
  • And then, some proportion of that 95.6% peers will get sick, but not die. How many lost days of productivity, at what expense?

srsly

• Like 2

Even if this virus were nothing worse than the flu the fact that it is at least 3 times more contagious than any flu we have seen means that if not taken seriously many many more people will die from it.  We make jokes in Italy about what it is like having to stay home, but the virus is no joke a bomb is about to go off in the US and this attitude that it is nothing more than the common flu will only make things many times worse.  

• JuanP locked this topic