Plant Schedule Quandary

Hi guys,

I just came across this problem with my planting plan and the associated schedule.

It seems that within my plan there are instances of plants or plant styles with an alternative spec. This makes the schedule have two records for the same plant - like shown below.

image.thumb.png.f168e60d7280ee79214369372840860a.png

I can't find the way to identify where these plants are within the plan. In my Resource Manager I have only one style per each of these plant species, so don't really know how I got to that situation.

Any advice on how to replace or rectify these instances, or merge their styles if there are two somehow?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Double click the worksheet, then on the row with the plant you want to see right click on the row number (5.1,5.2 etc) then choose select item. this will highlight and locate the item and you can make changes.

@bgoff, thanks for the tip, but I will require a bit more help regarding this. 

The Select Item is greyed out for majority of instances. Within the duplicated ones, only the correct ones are selectable. Then, even if I manage to select them, if they are included within Planting Areas the only thing I can do is to replace the style. But the thing is that I have only one style per each of these two species. How can I then identify what caused the problem or where the difference comes from?

I noticed that when I reassign the style again, it removes the instances with the incorrect spec. Well, at least a way to go, but quite laborious. Not sure even where this came from as I have only one style for these plant species. Perhaps a bug. The drawing was migrated from 2019, so perhaps this is a sort of redundancy. 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Often changes are made per instance of plant and not a broad sweep. This is generally how these changes occur. It could also be that if you brought in that file to 2020 and then added new plants that had been modified. Also if you find the plants you can "replace " them with the correct info this will help with speed as you don't have to enter each plant and change.

On a side note, is there a way to replace one plant style with another? Even, when the plant [to be replaced] is part of a Planting Area? I know this can be done with individual plants/ specimens, but can't find the way to do it globally, particularly for plants within groups/ mixes.

I tried to create an instance/ specimen of the plant I want to get rid of and use 'Replace all instances', but that didn't affect the mixes :(.

Any thoughts?

I noticed another interesting, but undesirable behaviour of the Landscape Areas. I changed the Category field of a plant style that is used only within the Landscape Areas, in order to get it picked up by the schedule. Nothing happened. It appeared that the changes to plant styles won't get updated automatically by Landscape Areas. I needed to go to them one by one and reassign. Like I described above - I think it's the same behaviour.

• 1 month later...

@Pat Stanford, can I use your wisdom and experience with worksheets a bit more?

I made a Plant Schedule for another project but it seems it doesn't pick up some of the plants from the drawing. I checked the Criteria, Category fields in both the schedule and the plant style, but still nothing. The plant is present within the drawing/ plan so I would think everything is correct with it.

I also noticed that with other plant it doesn't pick up the Root Protection field value. Again it's not a global issue, but problem with individual parameters or plants.

Any idea what else to look at?

Guys, I think I found out what had been happening.

I actually had a similar problem before, but in a different form. Something is wrong with Landscape Areas. Sometimes Plant Styles don't get expressed through them correctly. I don't know what precisely this is associated with.

I noticed that if something is going wrong with plants which are used within Landscape Areas, then they need to be reassigned in settings. That always rectified the misbehaviour. The problem is that this makes the planting plans and schedules quite unreliable. One needs to thoroughly check that everything works and being picked up in schedules. I am not sure if there is any kind of inspection tool. In one of the competitor packages I used to use, there was a tool like that. It checked if all planting areas had been labelled, and so on. You would be surprised how easy it is to miss some areas on large schemes.

@Pat Stanford, you may be right about what the LA is, but I don't think this is a problem. Most of the plants in my project are within a LA and they work fine.

As I said earlier in this thread, reassigning of the 'stubborn' plant definition within all LAs remove the incorrect behaviour. My first encounter with it was the reason I started this thread (apparently). Back then, the change that I made in the plant spec didn't go through to the schedule. Now, one plant wasn't picked up at all in the schedule, whilst another one had no Root Protection field value.

Regarding selecting Plug Ins in the criteria - the first time I did that I had double numbers of plants, because the schedule also picked up the ones in Data Tags.

Often you need to specify the layer as part of the criteria because a version in a viewport will also cause double (or triple or Octuple or more depending on the number of viewports you have). Specify that you are looking for plants on a specific design layer (or a few specific design layers) and it should help get your counts right.

@Boh, thanks for your thoughts. I think it should work when we realise a mistake like that which would reflect an error in the Plant Style. However, in both these instances, the Plan Styles were either correct or rectified, but the schedule was not able to pick it up. My guess is that there is an issue with plants in Landscape Areas.

I once had a problem with plant style not being correctly expressed in specimen planting either. The Support Team was contacted but not able to explain the issue either. I needed to reassign the style to get it work. I suppose there must be some tiny bugs that randomly cause the styles to fail to work. It is then easy to fix it, but the malfunctioning specimens or LAs need to be identified first. This is the experience I have had with such issues so far.

• Like 2