Please consider - Inline Math Upgrades to Allow Formula

Matt Overton

Question

Inline math calculations have been a great feature of Vectorworks from well before it was Vectorworks. I think there are many situations that it could be upgraded to optionally retain the calculation and allow formulas that reference other fields.

So there is discussion in another thread of U vs R values but they are linked by a simple formula.

So if working in R values I can type "1/6.3" and it'll get converted but no one else knows how I got that figure.

If could type "=1/6.3" and that stays in the field then we are closer.

Similar we often deal with old imperial dimensioned site plans Vectorworks really help us.

Type "5' " and it works out the metric, again would be great if I type "=5' " it would work the metric value out but other team members would understand why it wasn't a round number.

This system could go further and allow variables that could be file/model based. ie-

"=storey.sill" would tie that value to sill level of the story improving the integration of levels to objects

"=dx*2" would set the value to twice of object width.

All these cases the other users can see what I've done even why I've done it.

New variable could be created with a token like "&" so with our base suggestion. for U vs R values

it could have the R-value field "=1/&uValueGlass" and a new field appear below called "U Value Glass"

These fields could be exposed to Scripting and would make easier all round to create custom objects.

Would make Plug-in Objects easier to write as they wouldn't need to cover lots of bases they could cover the basics while the user can create field formulas to cover certain local specifics.

I think such an upgrade could add significant general value to the program and make many part of the program better.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

4 answers to this question

I don't hold my breath but occasionally if you put an idea out there it turns up sometime in the next 10years. In many years time I'll retire for the finally time and that November VW will release a version that was everything I always wanted.

To me this one has the power to fix so many underlying niggles in the program its at least worth considering.

On 11/3/2020 at 10:23 AM, Matt Overton said:

Maybe (fingers crossed) a quick one that is less hard.

Could we add RL calculations to Z values. Typing RL92010 on a layer that is elevation 90000 would make the item 2010 above the layer.

Damn it come here to add this only to find I already had. 

• Like 1