Hoist Tool Questions

I am trying out the Spotlight hoist tool for the first time and have some questions:

1.) Trying to use the Spotlight numbering tool. Selecting the “Hoist Number” field, setting the prefix to “L-“ and the start to “1”. When selecting hoists, the tool displays L-1, L-2, etc as one would expect. Once completed, all hoists still display “0” on both the hoist and OIP. The only way I can change the hoist number is to do it manually in the OIP. Also, it does not allow a prefix at all. 

2.) I figured out how to remove the X,Y arrows so I am pretty thrilled about that. Now I am displaying the X, Y values from fields which I seriously prefer.  The issue I now have is that the only way I can get the rigging point to display their actual XY location is to turn on “relative X,Y on plot” in the OIP and then turn it back off.  otherwise I just get a value of 0. 

Any thoughts?  

25 minutes ago, scottmoore said:

1.) Trying to use the Spotlight numbering tool. Selecting the “Hoist Number” field, setting the prefix to “L-“ and the start to “1”. When selecting hoists, the tool displays L-1, L-2, etc as one would expect. Once completed, all hoists still display “0” on both the hoist and OIP. The only way I can change the hoist number is to do it manually in the OIP. Also, it does not allow a prefix at all. 

Go to [Spotlight][Hloists][Set Hoist Number and Dimension Display...].  In the "Show" Pop-Up, select "Hoist Label and Hoist Number."  The "Label" is the prefix you're seeking.

29 minutes ago, scottmoore said:

2.) I figured out how to remove the X,Y arrows so I am pretty thrilled about that. Now I am displaying the X, Y values from fields which I seriously prefer.  The issue I now have is that the only way I can get the rigging point to display their actual XY location is to turn on “relative X,Y on plot” in the OIP and then turn it back off.  otherwise I just get a value of 0. 

Turn OFF (un-toggle) "Relative X,Y On Plot."  Click the "Set Hoist Data Display..." button in the OIP.  Click in the "Display" column next to "X" & "Y" (#s 55 & 56).  Click OK.

Do you get what you want???

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Scott

Regarding point 2 there is an existing bug where the X, Y, fields in the hoist label are not correctly updating if the hoist origin point is changed or the hoist itself is moved. The fix will be out soon. This maybe the root cause of your issue

Thanks guys. I’ll look at the first piece of advice from Andy and see if that sorts out labeling. I am pretty sure the second issue is indeed a bug. The XY fields did not calculate initially until I toggled the relative dimensions on and off. Likewise, when I moved the origin I had to toggle the relative dimensions back on and off to get the correct data. 

1 hour ago, C. Andrew Dunning said:

Also...see the "Refresh Hoists" command.  Essentially, what your toggling is triggering...

Copy that. Ugh.

All these tools that “sort of” work. It’s quite tedious and can certainly cause errors. Imagine the actual cost in labor and time if someone moved the origin, didn’t remember or even know they needed to refresh all the hoists, printed a coordinate sheet and hung an 80 point show completely wrong. Certainly within the realm of possibility. 

• Like 4

Hopefully. My complaint is this:

calculating X, Y coordinates is really the first order of business for a rig point tool. 3D implementation, load calculations, and everything else are icing on the cake. If it can’t do that one simple thing without a workaround, that is a fundamental failure and should be job 1 as it were. 

Edited by scottmoore
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The tool does this when it is working correctly.

There are 2 options to display the X, Y coordinates

you can use the X, Y fields in the hoist label legend or

the 'Display relative X, Y on plot' option to display the coordinates separate from the hoist label legend.

In both cases the designed functionality is for the label to automatically update whenever the hoist is moved or the hoist origin is changed.

The fix has been verified and will be in the sp3 release later this month

• Like 1