VectorWorks 12 Live Sections

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I think the comments by MJW and Christiaan are pertinent. No, we still do not represent wall components (nee "cavities") in 3D. Nonetheless, the live sections capability make the creation of construction drawings easier.

Construction drawing sets routinely include building sections (without details in walls) and interior elevations, both of which are made possible by the new Live Sections.

In addition, the live sections provide an accurate "geometric canvas" for 2D detailing of wall sections in a section viewport (using the numerous 2D detailing objects provided with VW Architect.) I don't think that it's unfair to say that the automatic generation of this view makes the CD process easier.

As I mentioned earlier, you can't section what you don't model. However, some things are easier to model than to draw, and some things are easier to draw than to model. One of the strengths of VectorWorks is it affords you either workflow.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since people here are architects and designers, by mental habit they're envisioning the future as they want to see it. What some may not appreciate if they don't have a background in software is that complex software takes a long time to build right, and must be built incrementally - just like buildings...

The question is not 'Why hasn't Nemetschek built our utopian vision already?' but 'Is what Nemetschek has already built useful enough to add value?' I think the clear answer is a resounding yes.

If people (no naming names here) really want to wait until this feature is 'finished' they may be waiting a long time. I think we should all be glad that Nemetschek have made such a promising start.

(Disclaimer: I'm a software engineer with a degree in architecure so I have some knowledge of building complex software)

quote:

Originally posted by Colin Howlett:

The question is not 'Why hasn't Nemetschek built our utopian vision already?' but 'Is what Nemetschek has already built useful enough to add value?' I think the clear answer is a resounding yes.

You're correct in what you say Colin but it's largely a straw man. I don't think most are asking "Why hasn't Nemetschek built our utopian vision already?", I think most are asking "What is our utopian vision and can we have it please?"

• Administrator

quote:

Originally posted by mike m oz:

Sorry to be pedantic but there is a need to change the terminology.

They are component parts of the wall not cavities. Cavities are nothing ie. empty space. Yes there are cavities in many walls, but the bits we want to see and represent are components of the wall like brickwork or timber stud framing.

Curiously - in VectorWorks 12, we have renamed cavities.

They are now called...

drum roll please...

"Components"

Well in the UK they are still called cavities and if you are having a UK version it would be fair better to use the construction terms rather than creating IT terms only understood by NNA and not builders!

Why is it so difficult to create what you can already create in plans in sections? If you can not do it then ok but do not mis-sell the product as 'live sections' and 'easier construction drawings'.

quote:

Originally posted by michael john williams:

Well in the UK they are still called cavities and if you are having a UK version it would be fair better to use the construction terms rather than creating IT terms only understood by NNA and not builders!

Well they're called Cavity Walls, yes, but what makes up a wall?any wall?is a bunch of components. Makes much more sense to me (and to any new person to Vectorworks I would have said, i.e. it's more intuitive)

quote:

Why is it so difficult to create what you can already create in plans in sections?

Out of curiosity I'd be interested to know this too, but frankly I'd rather the coders just got on with it than come on here and explain all their intricate priorities and difficulties.

I'm content to know that NNA knows my preference is for more detailed live sections.

quote:

If you can not do it then ok but do not mis-sell the product as 'live sections' and 'easier construction drawings'.

I don't think this adds anything to the debate. We've all said our bit and I'm sure NNA have duly noted everybody's comments. They may not be detailed live sections but they are quite obviously live sections and they will make my job of drawing sections far easier from what I can tell.

[ 11-02-2005, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: Christiaan ]