Data Tag- How to Report Thickness of Wall

Amorphous - Julian

Question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Julian, 

Wall thickness is reported through Object Function - Wall Thickness - #WALLTHICK#

If you wanted to report the thickness of the core, the easiest is to define mapping to IFC pset (Material ie) as Component Thickness - [Component.Thickness]. This will report only the thickness of the core component.

If you wanted the thickness of each component, you can create a custom IFC pset and use Expert Formula GETCOMPONENTINFO(n,4) where n is the sequence number of the component. Then you can define the Data Tag field with data source from your custom pset.

Hope this makes sense!

Luka 

• Like 3

@klvanov thanks I am using VW2019 SP6. When does VW2020 SP3 come out? I don't want to upgrade till then. 

Can we add this for the next SP release for 2019 as well?

@Luka Stefanovic Many thanks for the helpful tips to get get core thickness. I'll follow your instructions for Expert Formula when we get to 2020. 

I suppose sequence is counting from the top of the list, correct? 

Hi thanks @Luka Stefanovic that is great news!

However, I have searched through the IFC list in Data Tags, and cannot find 'IFC set' or 'Component.Thickness' for me to get the core thickness. 

Would you be able to tell me the exact steps to get to those functions, or give me the callout formula?

The best I can get to is:
#CD##IfcMaterialSet#.#IfcMaterialSet#.#Components#

Much appreciated, thanks! 😁

@Amorphous - Julian You would have to map the data to IFC first - in 2019 you would go to AEC>IFC data mapping and for Wall object (left pane) map to an IFC pset. You can  add IFC entities/data sets (middle pane), for example Material, expand so you see data field as Component 1 type STRING, then define mapping (right pane) as Component Thickness.

• Like 1

Then the next step is to set up the Data Tag to obtain value from #IfcWallStandardCase#.#Material#.#Component 1# (the first part of this formula is IfcEntity, second is pSet and third is Property name. IfcEntity will depend on where you insert the Material pSet, in this case I've put it under IfcWallStandardCase)

• Like 1

@Luka Stefanovic in one of the viewports, the Wall Tag with the above mapping seems to work just fine (we do Data tagging in Annotation Space)

However, in anther viewport, the Wall Tag doesn't pick up on walls (does not show highlight in red), but rather wants to tag other non-wall objects. I get the following

I'm not sure I completely understand the question, and the available choices.

image.thumb.png.ecd1614f83b7c031d2d900f8664230e4.png message:

Hi @Amorphous - Julian , 

I've been away for a couple of days so haven't been able to respond. Glad to see issues being sorted though.

12 hours ago, Amorphous - Julian said:

INT([Component.Thickness])

👍This is the way to do it. I think you can also add a dimension suffix to the formula too - just mm or " at the end after brackets should do the trick.

4 hours ago, Amorphous - Julian said:

it turned out the issue was leaving the referenced 'Survey' layer (DWG linework) hovering over our 'Proposed GA' layer in the viewport, which contains the wall objects

The Data Tag will only work with objects that have the data set that it's picking up the values from - that is why you had the dialog saying 'Current Data Tag requires the following data to be attached to the symbol' - apparently you were trying to tag a symbol, not a wall. It also gives you a choice to tag an instance or a definition of a symbol.

For example if a Data Tag is picking up Width value from a Door style, it will only be able to tag Door objects, you would need to set up another one for Windows, or if it's a Record Format, there needs to be one attached to the object you're trying to tag.

15 hours ago, Luka Stefanovic said:

It also gives you a choice to tag an instance or a definition of a symbol.

@Luka Stefanovic this is the part I'm confused about. What does 'definition of a symbol' refer to?

Also, after save and commit, we lose all data in all tags. This is incredibly frustrating for a Friday. 

image.thumb.png.3769aa844b3764a3387b38d54b52e491.png

I have posted the above S&C causing data tags to reset values in the post below. Really need this to be fixed (it's not the first time I have posted about this data tag loss issue).

Edited by Amorphous - Julian

@Amorphous - Julian 

13 minutes ago, Amorphous - Julian said:

What does 'definition of a symbol' refer to?

Symbols save objects for reuse, essentially as smart copy/paste. The objects are incorporated into a symbol definition, which is a resource that can be selected from the Resource Manager. When a symbol definition is placed into the drawing, a symbol instance is created. If you attach something to an instance only that instance will have that, as opposed to attaching it to the definition when every instance will have it.

22 minutes ago, Amorphous - Julian said:

Also, after save and commit, we lose all data in all tags.

This is an issue we are aware of and are working to find a fix. There is a workaround however, if you check out the Data Tag AND the objects they are tagging, then the association will remain. The associations are lost after Save and Commit if only one of the two is checked out.

@Luka Stefanovic this is a ridiculous.

Sorry.... but this is unacceptable.

Version 2019 is now at SP6, version 2020 is now at SP2. How can such a fundamental problem not be fixed by now?

Do you know what it's like to look at the work you and your team do disappear in front of your eyes?

Do you have a sense of the economic costs of this?

This is real, we pay wages. Lots of wages. We can't waste our resources like that.

As for the workaround, when we tag an entire floor of walls, doors, windows, and we have a few people working as a team, it is simply not feasible to use that workaround suggested.

When would the fix be available?