Unwanted Holes in Walls

Is anyone else getting holes spontaneously appearing in walls? It's happening to at least two of us in our office. I've seen it in 2018 and 2019. Using the Remove Wall Breaks Tool or re-joining the walls removes the holes, but they're appearing often enough to be annoying. See attached screen shots.

Thanks

Ed

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 5.12.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 6.40.38 PM.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Ed,
I have never seen this happen before.  Can you try copying and pasting the problematic wall with the window into a new blank file?  If the hole is still there, can you attach the file?  Otherwise, could you send me the original file privately?

I encountered myself same issue just few days ago (for the first time). In my case I got hole as shown on screenshot (hole not crossing any opening). Hole was not selectable and occured just out of nothing, definitely working on different parts of building.

If I remember correctly i just ran rejoin command for this wall and adjacent wall behind corner and it did the fix. But I am not 100% sure...maybe I had to restart file/app.

File created from scratch in vw2020 expect widow/door styles migrated from vW2019.

Snímka obrazovky 2020-03-07 o 9.28.59.png

Edited by drelARCH
used version of vw

Matt,

The screen shot shows what I see when I open the attached VW file (2019). Hopefully it will look the same when you open it. It seems that anything that regenerates the wall removes the hole (e.g. re-joining the walls or changing the height of the walls). I pasted these walls into a new file but that file had a different default wall height so that hole disappeared.

There are four locations (four different walls) where this is repeatedly happening.  So far I can't predict when or where this will happen. On A2.02 the four locations are indicated by red rectangles. I'll let you know if I see any predictable patterns emerge.

Thanks for looking at it.

Ed

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 10.17.33 AM.png

Unwanted Holes in walls sample file.vwx

Thanks for the file, Ed!

I see the issue in the file and resetting the wall does fix the problem (as you mentioned).

I trimmed the file down to only the wall with the issue and the two walls joined to it (attached for those interested).  If anyone has a way to reproduce the issue, please let me know.  In the meantime, I'll see if this file provides any clues.

image.png

Unwanted Holes in Walls Small.vwx

Here's another location where a hole keeps popping up. There is no door or window here. One thing that seems to be consistent is that all the holes extend from the bottom of the wall up to a height of 8'. It also seems that maybe all the holes have the same width. I'll start checking on the widths.

Ed

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 3.57.15 PM.png

Hi @Ed Wachter, Thanks for pointing that out.  That hole is also in the file you uploaded to this thread.

And yes, the dimensions are precisely 16" x 8'-0".  I may be grasping at straws here but I wonder if this has something to do with a Custom Cabinet object.  The only reason I mention this is because you have a red symbol ("Chapuis Kitchen Cab 1") containing a Custom Cabinet that's 16" wide by 8'-0" tall.  If you insert one into a wall, it can create the same size opening.  Any chance that object was accidentally inserted into one of those walls, then later deleted?

Like I said, I'm grasping at straws...

Yes, I'm also wondering about that custom cabinet. I suppose it's possible that symbol got inserted into a wall. I really doubt that I accidentally inserted it into the five different walls where holes have appeared. But I might delete that symbol and see if the problem goes away.

Ed

Do the holes usually appear in the same place as before, or are they different?  Since the symbol is a “red” symbol, deleting it probably won’t help because it places in the document as unique plug-in object instances that are no longer connected to the symbol.  This is a little different from a style (also shown with red text in the Resource Manager) that does maintain a link to its instances.

My thought was that the object may have been placed in a wall and somehow corrupted to where it shows a hole but no geometry.  Or something like that.  

I would say yes. So far, there are five locations where the holes have occurred. The holes have recurred in four of those locations so far. So perhaps I should delete those five walls and place new walls?

I turned that one cabinet into a symbol to easily replicate the cabinet style.  Maybe there's a better way to do that.

Ed

In my first post on this topic I mentioned that at least two of us in this office have experienced this and that I've experienced it in 2018 and 2019. The Custom Cabinet tool has been our preferred cabinet tool for the last couple years both in 2018 and 2019.  Is it possible that the Custom Cabinet tool could be causing these holes?

Ed

1 hour ago, Ed Wachter said:

I would say yes. So far, there are five locations where the holes have occurred. The holes have recurred in four of those locations so far. So perhaps I should delete those five walls and place new walls?

Yes.  My first thought is to recreate the walls to try to prevent it from happening again.  If you do this, please let us know if this seems to correct the issue.

I turned that one cabinet into a symbol to easily replicate the cabinet style.  Maybe there's a better way to do that.

Using a symbol for this makes sense.  I would do the same.

Is it possible that the Custom Cabinet tool could be causing these holes?

This is the big question.  I cannot imagine how the Custom Cabinet could be causing this but it is my main suspect (based purely on how its size related to the wall hole size).  It almost seems like it (or something else) was inserted into the affected walls, later deleted, but somehow the wall hole comes back.  A complete mystery to me... If you can somehow come up with steps that can make the hole reappear, please let me know.

Late to the party here... One observation: when opening the "unwanted holes in walls sample file" (the first one posted, above) in VW's 2020 I notice two things. First, the "updating walls" portion of the file translation takes a long time; second, when the file finally opens, there are no unwanted holes. P

3 hours ago, CipesDesign said:

Late to the party here... One observation: when opening the "unwanted holes in walls sample file" (the first one posted, above) in VW's 2020 I notice two things. First, the "updating walls" portion of the file translation takes a long time; second, when the file finally opens, there are no unwanted holes. P

Right.  Resetting the walls in VW 2019 also removes the holes (an easy way to do this is to select the wall and use the Move command to move it by 0, 0).  You'd probably never see it when opening older version files in 2020 because of the auto-resetting of Walls as it translates the file forward.

So 2020 doesn't necessarily fix this. I like that technique of moving the affected walls by 0, 0. That's a little easier than what I've been doing.

I did replace the affected walls and I don't believe the holes have recurred in those new walls but have appeared in one other. I'm trying to keep track of it but I do have several design options running parallel on different model layers and I might be forgetting which walls are new.

We'd probably be upgrading to 2020 about now if we weren't preoccupied with transitioning to working at home to minimize virus concerns. 

Ed

Thanks for the update, Ed.

Right.  I cannot say whether VW 2020 fixes this.  If I can consistently reproduce the issue in VW 2019, I can try the same steps in VW 2020 to see if it happens there.  But, more importantly, having a reproducible case means we have a far greater change of isolating and fixing the issue.

Here's another example (in a different file, different project). These two holes that just appeared both measure 2'-0" x 5'-11". I can't think of any objects in this file with these dimensions. I have not turned any cabinets into symbols in this file as I had in the previously discussed file. I am still not able to intentionally reproduce the problem. If my workplace is the only office having this problem then there is not much reason to find the solution. It's easy enough to make the holes disappear.

Ed

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 8.57.57 AM.png

I had this 'hole' issue again myself  experiencing in different file (third file and again with custom cabinet in it). In my situation after some wall position adjustments place for cabinet got smaller and I had to change width of cabinet accordingly.

On screen shot you can see custom cabinet and two places where hole occured. Solid red was first place after cabinet modification and after undo a repeated modification second place.

What I noticed when sides of cabinet are not touching or rather overlapping surrounded wall it behave ok. At least to me...

Hope it get sorted soon.

Snímka obrazovky 2020-03-26 o 18.17.12.png

Snímka obrazovky 2020-03-26 o 18.17.24.png

1 hour ago, Wes Gardner said:

@Ed Wachter...it's funny how 2'-0" x 5'-11" is the default dimension for the Custom Cabinet???  I was working on a data tag tool for these cabinets and noticed that...

Wes

BINGO!!!

Thank you Wes for noticing that!  This (I think) confirms my suspicion of it somehow being related to the Custom Cabinet!

45 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

BINGO!!!

Thank you Wes for noticing that!  This (I think) confirms my suspicion of it somehow being related to the Custom Cabinet!

Of course, I still cannot reproduce the issue.  At least we have a good idea what object might be the culprit.